scubapro vs pinnacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm shopping for a new suit and have limited my choices to either the Scubapro Everflex 5 mil or the Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene 5 mil. I have not yet tried on either and once I do, that in itself may make the decision easier. My LDS carries both. If there is anyone who has dived with both and can offer an opinion, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't tried Scuba Pro, but I have a 3mm Pinnacle Merino, Seal. The Pinnacles suits are well made, and I believe the Merino lining keeps your warmer. The seams are glued and double blind stitched, which allows less water to flow in and out, supposedly keeping you warmer. I have dived over 100 dives with my Pinnacle and would buy another one. My only complaint is that the stitching started to unravel after one dive trip. My local dive shop sent it off to the manufacturer and they reinforced the seams which have held up.

As for the Merino Elastiprene, I tried the 3mm on at the LDS and it didn't fit me like my Seal. Oddly, the Elastiprene was uncomfortable and fit terrible. Even though the manufacture might have a well made suit, the fit is the 1st part of the battle for me. If the Elastiprene fits you well, you should be happy with the suit.

My husband dives the 5mm Merino Elastaprene suit and loves it. It has a good amount of stretch, though not as much as a Henderson Hyperstretch, and the Merino lining not only keeps him warmer, but it feels nice against his body. I also dive Pinnacle suits and we're both super impressed with the comfort and quality of these suits.

Try them on first. Nothing fits me right in a Scubapro. If you get it down to one choice it's easy. That being said, I love my Xcel 5/4/3.

adios don O

although I haven't used the specific SP suit you are refering to, I have previously used SP suits and then I found Pinnacle. Their Merino-Elastiprene line are simply some of the best suits made. they fit perfectly in stock sizes, are very durable (my Seal is 4 years old with ~150 dives, and is still perfect) they reinforce the important parts (knees/shoulders) with Codura (I think)

XCel suits are good as well, but not as good as Pinnacle

I love my Pinnacle and chose it over a Henderson because of the fit. It has held up very well for over 200 dives. Don't be afraid to stray from your LDS to find the suit that fits you.

I don't know anygthing about the paticular suit you mentioned. But I do have a pinnacle wetsuit that fits great. Also I broke the zipper a short time ago, more than likely my own fault and not a problem with zipper or construction. I brought into the LDS where I bought it expecting to have to pay for a replacement zipper and have it shipped back for repairs, after all it was my fault that it broke. Instead I walked out that day with a new suit no questions asked.

I have dove both wetsuits and found the Pinnacle's to be of much greater quality. The fit is everything.. Pinnacle has a great warranty. Basically if it breaks regardless if it were manuacturer defect , wear/tear, or diver error they will fix it. I have never had any issues with either of my Pinnacle wetsuits or their drysuit.
My dive buddy had a Pinnacle Cruiser 5mm that he bought used, which some of the stitching was coming apart on the left knee along with a piece of velcro that had come off at the top of the suit. He sent it to Pinnacle directly, and within one week they sent a new one back...Not a bad deal, a used WS with about 175 dives for $85, and gets a brand new WS after 25 dives with it himself... Now that's customer service and manufacturer reliability.

Thanks to all for the input. Since posting, I've also spoken to a few folks. They all have recommended the Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom