ScubaPro Twin Jets (Black) Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nueOWdivr4

Registered
Reaction score
Hey divers I'm new to the scuba world and am just about to complete my OW course. I received a pair of SP Twin Jet fins as a present and am wondering if these are the best choice and if there are any special concerns when using them (different fin stroke other than flutter kicking). I've heard they don't do well in currents...you guys have any experience with that?

Hey divers I'm new to the scuba world and am just about to complete my OW course. I received a pair of SP Twin Jet fins as a present and am wondering if these are the best choice and if there are any special concerns when using them (different fin stroke other than flutter kicking). I've heard they don't do well in currents...you guys have any experience with that?

The colored Twin Jets are very slightly positively buoyant and slightly softer.

The black (and I beleive the gray) Twin jets are stiffer and negatively buoyant.

There is no problem using them in current, especially the black fins. They feel softer than stiff paddle fins, but work very well.

That said, buying someone fins is like picking out a girlfriend for them. It's really an individual decision, and nobody can tell if you like them but you.

If the fins were purchased locally, you should stop by the shop and see if you can try a few different types in the pool to see what you like.

Terry

Seeing as how you got those Twin Jets as a gift go ahead and give them a shot and see how well you like them. I hear good things about them, never tried them myself. No since spending unnecessary money on something else without first seeing how they work for you. Like Web Monkey said, go to your LDS and try out various fins in the pool and get a feel for the different types. The best is debatable, but it really comes down to personal preference.

It's a very nice gift, because they are quite expensive. Most people find them quite comfortable to use. They are best suited to flutter kicking, although it is possible to do all the kicks, including the back kick, while wearing them. (I would not want to try to LEARN those kicks in them, though.) You may find them fine for all the diving you do, or you may end up wanting something else. They are highly resellable.

Since you are getting them as gift, just use them. You might like it. I tried a pair and have to say I don't fancy them at all. I know many people who love them. Anyway, best you try them out and may other types of fin down the road. Fin preference are pretty subjective.

Enjoy!!!

I have a pair of the grey twins. They are positive and more flexible than the black, less than the yellow.
I was out with a young strong pup last weekend that asked to use them. I told him he’d look like a dork but he insisted and really surprised me saying he liked them a lot, were better than what he had been using.
I’d go ahead and give them a try for a while. As said, they are expensive and would be a nice gift if they worked for you.

thanks for the tips/advice, i got to try them out in a friend's pool last night and they felt pretty good, can't tell much of a difference in his small pool but ill probably be able to tell more with all my equipment on in the ocean/lake with more room to actually move in :D

Hubby has them, loves them. My daughter and son have them and love them. No problems with any kicks or hard currents. All good. I had them and loved them, but then I found force fins.... Looks dorky, but they are amazing. Having said that, 40 people will post how much they hate them, tried or not. Fins are like underwear. You can wear any old kind, but you always have a type that you like best...
At the end of the day, you got the twin jets as a gift. Enjoy them, use them, and later, as you find out your likes an dislikes, stay with them or go with something else.

Having run a dive shop, my fin rack looks something like Imelda Marcos' closet.

Not everybody is going to love any single type, these are my "go to" fins. Occasionally I'll use other pairs, but if asked, these are my favorites hands down.

And if you end up not liking them, they won't be hard to sell off.

Enjoy them, and most of all: Dive, dive, dive!!!

Lots of good advice so far.Try them, see if you like them.

The black twin jets are, I believe the stiffest and heaviest of the Twinjets.
The grays (at least the original grays) are much less stiff.

I have used the black twin jets for 5+ years, and I really like them. Some observations/suggestions,opinions (FYI:I'm a recreational diver):

On those "4 dive, dive days" I've had much less knee fatigue /soreness (on my old, injured,arthritic knees) than with My Aqualung/USD "Blades (which I also liked a lot).

For kicking: a smaller, slightly faster flutter kick works nicely. Be aware that it may
feel as if it takes a couple of kick cycles "to get going".

Also a frog-type kick ( I have not had formal training in the exact frog kick) can work with these fins, due to their relative stiffness.

They have worked for me, in currents described by divers familiar with the site, as strong. (They did not mention any reference speeds.)

As I said, try them, and as others have said, they were a gift. :)
Good luck,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom