Scubapro tank band question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

I just purchased a brand new Scubapro S-tek harness and it came with a pair of somewhat unusual tank bands. The cinch buckle is the same, and there is an improved (it would seem) hook that has a roller and that leverages the tank band to the tank. However, all else that is different seems to me to be less desirable. The webbing of the tank band is thinner (not the width, but the thickness or gauge of the nylon)--this means that the bands are flimsier and that they will expand and contract more than usual between being wet/dry. Also, the loose, male Velcro end of the strap closes on the outside rather than the inside, which means that it can come loose more easily. Finally, the rubber gripper pad is almost exactly half the standard size (found on the typical Scubapro tank bands).

Does anyone know what the story is with these tank bands? Has anyone ever had a problem with them? I have never seen them before--and I am a minor Scubapro collector.

Thanks,
mahjong

I have a Dive Rite Transpac II which came with a Travel wing that uses similar cinch closures, and I really like them.

For Scubapro's, I can't comment on 'flimsiness', but maybe someone got some stuff backwards? Have you tried removing the clips & rubber pad, then rethreading so the velcro is on the inside yet? This is easy to do with the version I have.

I have seen the Dive Rite cinch bands/buckles--the one's I saw allowed for adjustment on the buckle side rather than the hook side (I didn't like this very much, only because it was more difficult to make quick adjustments). But I think that by allowing the adjustment to be on the buckle side you can invert and rethread the webbing. On the Scubapro bands, because the webbing on the buckle side is sewn down, I don't think you can invert the webbing--but I'm not 100% certain of this (this is off the cuff).

The standard Scubapro cinch bands/buckles are great--and I have two pairs. I am simply wondering about this particular pair, which is unusual in the ways that I noted. But for the terrific hook improvement, the Velcro/webbing/gripper on this pair of bands appear inferior to the standard Scubapro straps (IMHO).

Hmmm... I've found the tank straps on my two X-Teks (the predecessor of the S-Tek) have been great. Does yours have the newer ScubaPro buckle or the older and more standard ones? I've found both were very good.

Dr. Bill

Hi Dr. Bill...yes I have seen the standard straps even on other S-teks (so it's not an X-tek versus S-tek issue)...it's just this particular S-tek has non-standard Scubapro tank bands (different in the ways I described). I am not sure of the diff between the old and new buckles that you speak of--I have seen some pretty old buckles--and I still have my 6 or 7 year-old Classic--and I have new buckles--they are all the same (even on the non-stardard bands). Only the hook on this non-standard pair of bands is different (in addition to the webbing/Velcro/gripper pad).

I wrote to Scubapro about this a couple of days ago--but no reply to date.

Sound like the newest SP band which also has the loose end of the strap on the outside. I asked a SP LDS why and he said it was to make it easier to adjust and so folks would stop losing the small plastic keeper. I decided it was juast another stupid improvement by SP.

awap:
Sound like the newest SP band which also has the loose end of the strap on the outside. I asked a SP LDS why and he said it was to make it easier to adjust and so folks would stop losing the small plastic keeper. I decided it was juast another stupid improvement by SP.

You've obviously not had to listen to student's and customers complain about having to open and reopen the straps to get it right. Especially if they use several different tanks in one day.

Personally, the old style wasn't a problem but I'm assuming that the number of requests from the public to redesign the strap dictated it. The new ones are very easy to use and hold tanks just fine. They are actually better made than the old ones.

I'm surprised that this is just coming up considering that the straps changed about 2 years ago.

Dave

akscubainst:
You've obviously not had to listen to student's and customers complain about having to open and reopen the straps to get it right. Especially if they use several different tanks in one day.

Personally, the old style wasn't a problem but I'm assuming that the number of requests from the public to redesign the strap dictated it. The new ones are very easy to use and hold tanks just fine. They are actually better made than the old ones.

I'm surprised that this is just coming up considering that the straps changed about 2 years ago.

Dave

I don't change tank often, but I found I could use a white paint pen to mark my straps with a setting for an 80/63 and one for a 72. And I eliminated the small plastic rectangle replacing it with a piece of inner tube. The cam action of the new strap looks nice but unnecessary once you have them adjusted right. Also, I use 2 straps which leave more leaway in the adjustment. I'll stick with the older model with no plastic parts or dangeling ends.

You're right, my Dive Rite hinged buckles are sewn on the end that doesn't have the hinged part. I suppose I didn't respond properly after all, because I thought my DR hinged buckles were the 'Scubapro Style' mentioned for the poll, in this thread I thought you might want to check out.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=80490&page=2&pp=10

The little elastomer pads from Deep Sea Supply look pretty interesting, if you're having issues with tank slippage.

Hi all.

I wrote to Scubapro about the new bands and just heard back from them: The tank bands are the new sAdjustable Supersinch style (new in 2002) and supposed to be superior to the old style. The bands are not as thick, but they supposedly will not stretch after wetting (no need to wet them prior to buckling up) (I don't think the new leveraging hook--which also has a sliding locking rod in the middle--could work well with the thicker bands). Also, even though the Velcro is on the outside, supposedly the Velcro is not even needed, as the new leveraging hook holds the band in place without the need for Velcro. According to Scubapro, the Velcro is on the outside to make for quick and easy adjusting, but there is no need for the safety of having the loose end on the inside, pressed up against the tank--because the new hook leverages the bands down. The Velcro is there just to secure the loose end--and there is a super tight plastic clip (not like the loose one on the old model) for added security.

Scubapro has been reliable for me, so I've no reason not to give these new bands a try.

Mahjong

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom