ScubaPro SPG hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a scubapro SPG that has a small leak at the hose on the SPG end. From what I gather I need to change an o-ring but how do you open the black casing? It does not have any screws. Do you pry it open or am I missing something?

There is a hole on the back with a mettalic recessed thingy but it does not look like a screw or is is a screw with black cover?

1st you need to discover where the leak is.
Is it from the hose itself or from where the gauge swivels?

If it's the hose you need to get a new hose.....no repairs here.

If it's the swivel you will need to remove the gauge from the rubber boot. Soaking in warm water will help soften the rubber.
You will need 2 spanners to remove the gauge from the hose.
Inside there's an air spool wih 2 small o rings......these are the ones that need to be replaced.

.......do not use a screwdriver on anything.

I am all for DIY but if you are not sure how to fix the "thingy" it, might well be worth paying someone the $10 or so (plus part if new hose needed) it should cost to repair it.

BTW, if you use a screw driver to prey out the wrong black cover you will have a rather expensive surface pressure gauge rather than a submersible pressure gauge. You might want to do a bit of research before you attempt a repair.

Thank you for the info. I am all for the pro if that is out of my league. If it is an o-ring however that is something I can take care of. I am not looking to save money but to learn from the experience in case that happens somewhere where there is no LDS or pro to help...

Seems to me that the leak is from the swivel...and the reason I asked is because I do not like using screwdrivers to pry things open. Thank you for the info,

The o-rings are 2-003's. I use duro 70's but it is an HP application that many want duro 90 to avoid extrusion problems. They are fairly small and instal on the ends of a brass spool. Not a lot of metal so be careful not to damage. The spool can be difficult to remove if there is any corrosion or salt deposits. If you resort to any tools other than two wrenches and a pick, you are probably asking for trouble. The good news is the replacement spool is not expensive (XS Scuba Air-Spool with Buna N O-Rings). You will also need some lube, preferable O2 compatible.

Good luck

The o-rings are 2-003's. I use duro 70's but it is an HP application that many want duro 90 to avoid extrusion problems. They are fairly small and instal on the ends of a brass spool. Not a lot of metal so be careful not to damage. The spool can be difficult to remove if there is any corrosion or salt deposits. If you resort to any tools other than two wrenches and a pick, you are probably asking for trouble. The good news is the replacement spool is not expensive (XS Scuba Air-Spool with Buna N O-Rings). You will also need some lube, preferable O2 compatible.

Good luck

I am pretty sure that most ScubaPro SPGs are made in Italy which usually means they use the shoulder type which Dive Gear Express has for a song:
Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom