Scubapro setup for diving twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am looking at my first reg purchase. I live in Melbourne, Australia and am interested in getting into more wreck and tech diving. Currently I'm looking at getting the MK17 & R390 (x2) both in DIN. Orginally I was going to get the MK25 and s600 classic, but after some research it really seems that the MK17 and R390 will not only be cheaper but better in terms of ease of service (require less fine tuning) and also will do better in cold conditoins, less free flow etc. I'd be interested to hear opinions and if anyone has used these for deep/tech diving.

Cheers

Alex

I am currently using a pair of scubapro MK25 with G250 (DIN) for my tek setup, the G250's are great! very simple, no tools requred to disassemble the second stages if there is a problem and they are super easy to get parts for. The swivle on the first stages make routing the hoses very easy so you don't get snagged on anything once you are in the wreck.
Just my two cents.

IMO for tech simplicity is best, simple rarely fails or breaks.

check this site out for some tips if you like.

Equipment anatomy

If you are in Australia, I don't think that you are in cold enough water to worry about open port regs. I think that although the MK17's are great, that you would really be happy with the MK25's. They breathe extremely well, and as mentioned the hose routing is ideal.
If you are worried about price, go for soemthing like the S550 or the G250 instead of the S600 or the classic.

alexxred:
I am looking at my first reg purchase. I live in Melbourne, Australia and am interested in getting into more wreck and tech diving. Currently I'm looking at getting the MK17 & R390 (x2) both in DIN. Orginally I was going to get the MK25 and s600 classic, but after some research it really seems that the MK17 and R390 will not only be cheaper but better in terms of ease of service (require less fine tuning) and also will do better in cold conditoins, less free flow etc. I'd be interested to hear opinions and if anyone has used these for deep/tech diving.

When I was purchasing my 2nd set of regulator, diving doubles in the future was one of my consideration. Got some really good comments from DA_Aquamaster.

I was wanting to get MK17 but it wasn't available as yet when I made my decision So I went ahead and get a MK16 and G250HP on 7' hose and R390 as backup second on 22" hose. The set up breath great. MK16 has been commented to have good double hose routing (but I haven't try them myself as yet). Since MK17 comes with 2 HP ports (MK16 comes with 1), which is understood to provide more flexibilities in the hose routing, I guess MK17's for double should be neat.

Anyway, this is just something I have learned when getting my regulator. Look forward to try them out myself. I will probably go out and get another MK16 1st stage by when I actually go double.

I understand the MK17 is terrific, but I'd also recommend the G250 2nd stage over the R390. If you're going to go with an unbalanced 2nd stage, why not save a few more bucks and get the R190? It breathes at least as well as the 390 and will be no less comfortable in the water; it's a little heavier, but also displaces a little more water so it's about the same.

The G250 is a real classic; best of all would be to find an older style one with the metal barrel.

Hello Alex,
What a cunundrum! For regs, why not try ebay and get your self a nice balanced adjustable R109 from 1985-1994? Parts are still available, and with the right tech guy to set it up..... SWEET. Hard wearing metal body, looks good and breathes like silk. Im not a huge fan of DIN fittings, unless your tank pressures will be in excess of 3,500 psi. Im still diving Scubapro twin 71.2s with a Scubapro twin take off manifold from 1982, a MKVII/ Pilot, and MKV/AIR 1 for back up. For the deeper stuff I mount a Faber 19 CuFt Pony with a MKIX/108 Second stage. It all comes down to personal prefferance, so you may have to try different setups till you find what you are happy with.

Good Luck,

Alan

Alan Krell:
Hello Alex,
What a cunundrum! For regs, why not try ebay and get your self a nice balanced adjustable R109 from 1985-1994? Parts are still available, and with the right tech guy to set it up..... SWEET. Hard wearing metal body, looks good and breathes like silk.
Alan

I also have one of the old balanced adjustable metal 2nd stages and I love it; aside from the weight, which can be pretty well negated with the right mouthpiece and hose routing, it's really great. Breathes at least as well as my G250, maybe even a little smoother, no dry mouth, and it's pretty much indestructable. Plus, you can find them for $50 or less, then get them serviced and still come out way ahead on the money. Good call on that one!

On doubles, I prefer the hose routing offered by regs Like the Mk 16, Mk 17, Poseiden, Aqualung Legend, etc with side mounted LP and HP ports. On doubles the first stages are mounted on their sides where they allow the hoses to be routed straight down and provide better streamlining. With a reg with a swivel like the Mk 25, you end up with at least one hose poking out at an angle.

It's true that the R390 is mechanically simpler than a balanced second stage like the G250 or S600, but in practical terms there is no difference in reliability. I have never encountered a problem due to the balanced poppet, but I have frequently encountered problems with an excessive seating groove developing over time in almost all downstream second stages. It is a non event with an adjustable second stage as a turn of the adjustment knob will correct it, but on a non adjustable reg, you either have to know how to re-adjust the orifice and lever, or you need to take it back in to the shop.

What is also true is that a balanced and adjustable second stage like the G250, S600 or X650 will offer better performance through both increased flow rates and lower inhalation efforts. That performance can be an important consideration at depth as a lower performing regulator increases the potential for CO2 buildup which in turn aggravates nitrogen narcosis and can elevate your risk for oxygen toxicity.

It is also true that the older SP Balanced Adjustable second stage is still fully supported (with the exception of the exhaust tee) and uses the same poppet as the G250 and S600 and offers nearly identical performance. It trades a flow vane that most divers seldom adjust for a much stronger and relatively compact metal case that virtually eliminates dry mouth and offers excellent heat transfer for extremely cold water diving.

SP, at least in the US, is packaging the Mk 17 with the R390 and also the X650. But the Mk 17 can be ordered with any SP second stage. My suggestion would be to go with the Mk 17 and a G250. In my opinion that combination maximizes performance for the minimum amount of money you can spend and still achive that level of performance

Back
Top Bottom