Scubapro R390 Octopus pickle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2JAX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK here it goes, this is my very first post, I have a dilemma.

I knew exactly what I wanted so I went to my LDS to purchase a SP MK25/S600 and we got a great deal as we are purchasing two. I also knew that I wanted the R390 octopus. OK so from reading this board I discovered that the R390 was discontinued and replaced by the R290. That is all fine, so I checked to see if my LDS had an R390 or could get one from SP. No, they were out and couldn't get anymore. OK, that is still fine, I said I'll take whatever is replacing the R390 octopus, the R290. We left the LDS feeling great about our deal and that we were buying through them. It was all good. We get a call today and most of our stuff from SP has come in and we can pick it up. But yes, there is a catch, no R290 octopus. SP told the LDS the R290 is on backorder until December. BUMMER, well December just won't work, period. So here is my problem: What should I do about an octopus? I feel like I should have a SP octo since the 1st and 2nd stages are SP. That way they can be serviced at the same place at the same annually. I thought about buying the R390 octo from Leisurepro, but then I would have the warranty and free parts kit every year for half of my set up. If I bought from LP I'd save about $75 over the R390 retail price. Oh yeah, we only have one LDS within hundreds of miles so driving to another is not an option. I could call around to authorized dealers where my mother lives and have her buy over the counter and mail it to me if one is available. That way I'd have a warranty and parts agreement. Is that worth $75? Another thing is the retail price for the R290 to my understanding is $45 LESS than the R390, anyone know why that is? I guess I could see about getting an R190 octopus instead, but my understanding is that it is bigger and bulkier. I don't like the thought of that at all, but since I can't hold them in my hand to compare I'm just not sure what the difference is. I am very into reducing an excess bulk, which is why I decided I needed the R390. If you are thinking what about AirII, I want no part of that what so ever, so just not an option for me. My LDS also sells Aqualung and Apex. I guess I could get one of those octos, but I have the feeling, I don't know why, that it is better for everything to be the same. So should I:

1) Buy the R390 octo from LP
2) See if mom can pick one up an R390 over the counter in Austin
3) Settle for the R190 and more bulk
4) Get some different SP octo, is there one
4) Buy an Apexs or Aqualung octo, if so which one(s) for my MK25

Please help, I just don't know what to do......

Thanks and this is an awesome forum!

Get the 190 or an Apeks. The 190 is not that big and Apeks for a second choice is a good reg equal to any thing scubapro makes. I consider both regs from each manufacturer to be amoung the best, and that from using each at technical depths.

Go for the 190. It's not much bigger, and the weight difference in the water is practically nil. It might actually breathe a little better, as the diaphragm is slightly larger, or so I've read.

If you're dying for the 390, you could try leisurepro, or ebay. I've seen new ones on there pretty frequently. You'd have to pay for parts at service, which is no big deal.

My wife uses the R190 for her primary. I guess "big" is relative, my octo is an R380 which is identical to the 390, and it isn't much smaller than the 190, IMO.

190/380/390/290, IMHO there isn't enough differnce between the lot of them to pay any attention to.

put an S550 (or 600 but the adj knob would not be there) in one hand and an R190 in the other. That is the difference in size and bulk. Used as a std octo, even if you rig it on a necklace, the difference between the R190 and R390 will hardly be noticable. IMHO, the smaller size is just not worth the added cost.

If in doubt, talk to your LDS about renting R190 octos from them until he can get the R390s. I agree that keeping your system in a single brand makes servicing easier. And if you are planning on having it serviced annually to maintain the warrenty, it would be a shame to not have the octo covered (although service kit should not run more than $10 unless the shop is punishing you).

If it is a good shop, he should work thru this problem to both your satisfaction.

I have the R390 my wife has the R190. The difference is no big deal. If you really want a small octopus you could just go for the S550 mentioned above at an extra cost (but you wouldn't feel bad about settling). I also have heard that the larger diaphragm on the R190 (and G250 for that matter as a primary) yield a little smoother breathing. You'll have your octo clipped away by some means or another so the size difference won't matter.

Best of luck!

Ask your dealer for a loaner octo until yours comes in. (doesn't have to be ScubaPro) It's just an extra second stage, and I'm sure they've got more than a few laying around.

Whatever you buy, make sure you like where you're buying it, since it will need annual maintenance (or every 2 years, depending on brand).

In fact, this would be a good test of how accomodating they are. If you ask and they look like they smell poop, go somewhere else.

Terry

2JAX:
OK here it goes, this is my very first post, I have a dilemma.

I knew exactly what I wanted so I went to my LDS to purchase a SP MK25/S600 and we got a great deal as we are purchasing two. I also knew that I wanted the R390 octopus. OK so from reading this board I discovered that the R390 was discontinued and replaced by the R290. That is all fine, so I checked to see if my LDS had an R390 or could get one from SP. No, they were out and couldn't get anymore. OK, that is still fine, I said I'll take whatever is replacing the R390 octopus, the R290. We left the LDS feeling great about our deal and that we were buying through them. It was all good. We get a call today and most of our stuff from SP has come in and we can pick it up. But yes, there is a catch, no R290 octopus. SP told the LDS the R290 is on backorder until December. BUMMER, well December just won't work, period. So here is my problem: What should I do about an octopus? I feel like I should have a SP octo since the 1st and 2nd stages are SP. That way they can be serviced at the same place at the same annually. I thought about buying the R390 octo from Leisurepro, but then I would have the warranty and free parts kit every year for half of my set up. If I bought from LP I'd save about $75 over the R390 retail price. Oh yeah, we only have one LDS within hundreds of miles so driving to another is not an option. I could call around to authorized dealers where my mother lives and have her buy over the counter and mail it to me if one is available. That way I'd have a warranty and parts agreement. Is that worth $75? Another thing is the retail price for the R290 to my understanding is $45 LESS than the R390, anyone know why that is? I guess I could see about getting an R190 octopus instead, but my understanding is that it is bigger and bulkier. I don't like the thought of that at all, but since I can't hold them in my hand to compare I'm just not sure what the difference is. I am very into reducing an excess bulk, which is why I decided I needed the R390. If you are thinking what about AirII, I want no part of that what so ever, so just not an option for me. My LDS also sells Aqualung and Apex. I guess I could get one of those octos, but I have the feeling, I don't know why, that it is better for everything to be the same. So should I:

1) Buy the R390 octo from LP
2) See if mom can pick one up an R390 over the counter in Austin
3) Settle for the R190 and more bulk
4) Get some different SP octo, is there one
4) Buy an Apexs or Aqualung octo, if so which one(s) for my MK25

Please help, I just don't know what to do......

Thanks and this is an awesome forum!

Thanks for the input so far!!! Now I'm wondering if I should get an S550 to use as a second second stage. Would they detune to serve as an octo, is that possible? Could I get a yellow hose? Would I be happier with a balanced secondary since my primary is balanced; or does it matter? One reason I opted for the S600 is that my mouth is small. That is another reason why I was favoring the R390 over the 190. Is the S550 smaller than the R390? I agree with you Raposa that I should not buy anything that even feels like I'm settling. My husband thinks I'm crazy and should just buy one. Maybe that is because if I ever had to give up my primary he'd be the one getting it. I'll talk to the LDS tomorrow about the S550 and may call the shop near my mother and see if they have a R390.

More input would still help.....

2JAX:
I feel like I should have a SP octo since the 1st and 2nd stages are SP.

I have an Atomic primary with an SP mk20, US divers pressure guage and at this time an R190 octo. I've had an Oceanic and a SeaQuest octo. The beauty is, no one will mistake my reg setup for theirs. It's one of a kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom