Scubapro Power Inflator - Repairs Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
While working on a Scubapro classic BCD, I pressurized the line and the power inflator popped out. seems like the stem gave where the retaining nut gets screwed in:

IMG_0783.jpg

has this happened to anyone else?

Do they sell just parts for the inflator or do I have to get an entire assembly?

thanks!

Looks like the threaded end of the inflator button (part # 21.626.014) broke off. It is probably still inside the seat assembly (part # 21.626.004). Those same parts are also used in the Air2 and should be readily available.

Somewhere I'd swear I saw a power inflator for sale for $10. Do you ever visit TDS, the Deco Stop? I think it was the "everything for sale but the kitchen sink" thread, in the BC/BPW section of the link he gave showing picures of everything.

How old is it? From the photograph, it looks to be faily new so it could (should) be under warranty.

Awap: Thanks for the parts number and the parts names! :D that'll be a real big help when I go to the LDS. I was trying to describe the problem to them over the phone, trying to be very specific, but they kept insisting that they needed to see it before they could give me a quote. At least now I can aske them specifically for something and have some credibility.
JahJah - I'll check it out. 10 bucks! wow! they sell those generic power inflators around here for around 20-30!
LC: It looks new, but it isn't :D This is from my friend's BCD, who stopped diving for a looooooong time because... well, he got married!

Oh, just a question. I think one of the contributory factors include the tension of the spring. Does it really have to be that strong? Its a good thing that it didn't hit anyone on the way out. ...

Doc Ed:
Oh, just a question. I think one of the contributory factors include the tension of the spring. Does it really have to be that strong? Its a good thing that it didn't hit anyone on the way out. ...

I doubt if the problem was spring tension. That design is in all the Scubapro BPIs and Air2s. Has that inflator ever been serviced - it looked fairly clean? Scubapro calls for the replacement of the seat and the stem (permenantly attached to the button) o-ring annually. (If mine are not leaking, I don't mess with them.) While it is always possible the metal stem could have been defective, I'd suspect that someone overtightened the seat assembly onto the stem. My schematics show a tightening torque of 2 - 3 inch pounds. That may be a misprint in the schematics as 20 to 30 makes more sense just in terms of being able to measure it. But in any case, we are talking something in the range of finger tight. If the shop you are dealing with previously serviced that inflator, I'd excpect a free replacement and an apology.

I found a newer Air2 schematic and it calls for 2.7 inch pounds. So either that is correct or they are consistantly wrong. I'll see if I can PM you the schematic so you'll have a reference.

Hey AWAP, thanks for the schematics.

It really helped when I called my LDS and asked for the part, and was able to give them the part numbers. Their attitudes changes completely...

Unfortunately, they didn't have em in stock and they still have to order them. Oh well :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom