Scubapro MK25SA corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrenchFrog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a scubapro MK25 SA less than a year old corroding big time. It started right after the first trip. All port plugs are corroded and need to be replaced as well as the yoke. And I have a few spots on the main body of the primary. I do mostly leaveaboard diving and dive steel tanks. The regulator get washed quite well after each trip on board and again at home. Same treatment to an MK25 with no problem.
Other owners (or deallers) of an MK25 SA, what is your experience? And if you have had problems what has been scubapro answer to it?
Thank you
Sylvie

No problem if you're the original owner and purchased it from an authorized ScubaPro dealer. Just take it back and they'll replace any bad parts. ScubaPro has a lifetime parts replacement program.

cobaltblue:
No problem if you're the original owner and purchased it from an authorized ScubaPro dealer. Just take it back and they'll replace any bad parts. ScubaPro has a lifetime parts replacement program.

You mean any rust on the part.....?

In this case the corrosion would be due to a materials problem and/or an improper assembly issue (not using the plastic washers or properly coating threads on LP and HP port plugs) and should be covered under warranty.

No, no rust. The metal is just chipping away. When dry, after a few days you can see a white powder (sorry for the description, probably not technically correct, not salt) developping on those spots. It is "eating" the parts apart.

That white powder is aluminum oxide, which is aluminum's version of rust. If often eats away the metal in a much more erratic fashion than rust eats steel, giving a chipped away effect. I would take it back to SP, and squawk until they do something, If the dealer won't help, send it back direct to SP.

And if they should offer you a non-aluminum 1st in its place, take it!

FrenchFrog:
No, no rust. The metal is just chipping away. When dry, after a few days you can see a white powder (sorry for the description, probably not technically correct, not salt) developping on those spots. It is "eating" the parts apart.

Agreed. The SP sales rep that works with our LDS was pushing the MK 25 SA real heavy when it first came out suggesting that for the slightly higher price it was hard to beat and that there was no reason not to buy one.

Personally, when I look at the first regulator I ever bought in 1985, made from chrome plated brass, attached to one of my deco bottles I see several excellent arguments for staying with a chrome plated brass first stage:

1. They last forever
2. They don't corrode
3. They do not present special O2 compatibility problems and
4. They are comparatively inexpensive.

Light weight is nice, but is not really an advantage unless you travel extensively AND your bags are chronically over weight. Local divers just carry more lead to offset the ioghter weight of the regulator and derive no advantage for the extra money spent and decreased durability of the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom