scubapro mk25 turret up or down...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was talked about some time ago, did a search and could not find it.
It went something like this : IF I remember right, 5'8" and under mk 25 1st stage goes down, 5'9" up, goes up.
Correct me if that is not right.
Mine goes down [as does the Mk10].

So.....here’s my question. With the turret turned up, do you use the 5th port? And, if so, what for? To clarify, I’m not saying there is a correct way, as both ways has their practitioners and I believe in dive and let dive. I’m just curious.

Erik

Many older MkV first stages and most of the clones thereof do not have the fifth port. It is a nice and useful addition to the regulator, especially useful for twin use and independent doubles. Not as useful for singles. No I do not use the fifth port on a singles rig.

And if the first stage is hitting you in the head, drop the tank lower or if you prefer, or both, flip the first stage upside down, turret down. I do not think there really is a right or wrong but perusing the web I find plenty of instructional videos for DIR-ish stuff that show the turret up on a single tank rig, just one example:

Screen-Shot-2021-08-20-at-9-55-55-AM.png

As to an improved WOB difference (or better said perhaps, IP drop) for the fifth port vs the 90 degree ports, yes, there is one and it can be measured and it is of no consequence anymore so than a 90 degree elbow at the second stage or a long hose for that matter. Use it if you like and it gives you good routing, if not then do not.

I suspect if you did a poll, on this forum, due to the preponderance of technical bent plates well beyond what is found in the diving public at large, you would find turret down in the majority of users. This because such plates force a very high tank position.

James

Found the topic from 5 months ago:
I would say the only correct answer is the one that is most comfortable on you. I'm short so down works best for me, especially on a single. A friend is 6'4"/1,930mm and is comfortable with it up. How you wear your tank(s) also makes a big difference. Some divers point it to the right and route hoses down or put their primary on an end port.

< 5'9" down > 5'10" up, base line only, depends on BC, cylinder and hose routing.
Me , down , vertically challenged.
Went for a medical yesterday and I have shrunk 1.5" since I left the Navy, getting old is not for the timid ! Boyle’s law works with height as well.:p

I've always had the turret up until I read this thread.
Now I have them down on my new Mk25 and '91 Mk10.
The regulator hoses are now both lower and seem more comfy.
I route my octo under my arm and it hangs from a necklace.
Plus the 1st stage isn't sticking up to catch on something.
This forum has given me so much good info.

I've always had the turret up until I read this thread.
Now I have them down on my new Mk25 and '91 Mk10.
The regulator hoses are now both lower and seem more comfy.
I route my octo under my arm and it hangs from a necklace.
Plus the 1st stage isn't sticking up to catch on something.
This forum has given me so much good info.

Yes SB is the cat's meow.

Turret facing down at a slight angle. I use "primary donate, back up on short hose" configuration. The primary hose is 47" in length and connected to the bottom (end of turret) LP port. The back up second stage is on a 24" hose connected to a port on the side of the turret and attached with a bungee around my neck.

I don't see an issue connecting the first stage to the tank valve with the turret facing up but your 5th port at the end of the turret, the better air flow, will be unusable. In the turret facing down, all LP ports are usable.

Note: The is one side of the turret where the spacing between two LP port is longer than the spacing between the other LP ports. This larger spacing should be facing your back/neck.

This was talked about some time ago, did a search and could not find it.
It went something like this : IF I remember right, 5'8" and under mk 25 1st stage goes down, 5'9" up, goes up.
Correct me if that is not right.
Mine goes down [as does the Mk10].
Great I'm 5' 8.5".

I see the advantage of the 5th port for long hose and the tilted reg. I also see the advantage turret up if not using the 5th port as having the LP ports on top would be helpful since they route above or below the shoulders. My biggest issue is probably that I have a short neck so I assume turret up would be, drum roll please, a pain in the neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom