scubapro mk25 - s600 vs apeks xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isitamiau

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!!

Just new in the forum , so hello to everybody.

I'm looking for a regulator and I'm still hesitating between this two models.

To let you know the use I'm going to do with the regulator.9
I'm an instructor and I dive in cold water ( mediterranean 17º) and in hot water (Philippines..around 28 - 32º). As you see it also affects me the weight issue when traveling, but I'm looking for a robust regulator, that lasts to me and especially reliable. In the Philippines I dive deeper between 30 and 40, so I need a good air flow. I work in both locations, so that the requirements are for the two environments.

Thank you very much!!!!

As far as regulators are concerned, 17c isn't really considered cold. The cutoff is generally 10c. Either way I'd go for the apeks xtx200 since it's environmentally sealed. That'll be easier on the reg in salt water.

I'm sure some piston fan will disagree. Personally I dive a reg similar to the apeks for my primary tank and a reg similar to the scubapro for my stage bottle. I won't name the brand to avoid the stalking trolls.

Last edited:
Personally I'd go the Apeks too for the same reasons as chrpai. Breathing wise you will likey never tell the difference. Score a 1st and 2nd stage service kit and take them with you when you travel. Apeks regs are very simple and dont require any special tools, any competent reg tech would be able to service them providing they had access to the service kits.

I have piston regs (Scuba Pro Mk25s) and Diaphragm (Dive Rite RG3100s). I also have one of the fan boy regs that are so famous here.

There is a little bit of difference in how they breathe, but it's minor, and not that significant from a diver perspective.
I like both brands and models. It's difficult to by a bad one.

Between the two regulators that you specifically asked about (among the better choices out there), If it were me, I would get the XTX200. :wink: Just because they are cool.

Cheers,
Mitch

I have piston regs (Scuba Pro Mk25s) and Diaphragm (Dive Rite RG3100s). I also have one of the fan boy regs that are so famous here.

There is a little bit of difference in how they breathe, but it's minor, and not that significant from a diver perspective.
I like both brands and models. It's difficult to by a bad one.

Between the two regulators that you specifically asked about (among the better choices out there), If it were me, I would get the XTX200. :wink: Just because they are cool.

Cheers,
Mitch

Way to say it without saying it, nice...:wink:

I have an XTX200 set and have never had a problem in cold water (<5C).

If you can dive both I would do that and then decide.

What I do not like about the Apeks XTX200 and XTX100 models is the hose routing. People who use them for doubles need to angle them funny. If you want Apeks I recommend the XTX50 with a DST first with 5 ports, the hose routing will be more flexible.

Also there is nothing wrong with using unsealed regs in salt water as long as you clean them properly afterwards. Most of the regs sold are unsealed. If there was a problem then reg failures would be much more common.

Another also. If you want Scubapro, a MK-17 is a sealed diaphragm first. That and a G260 would make a nice combo.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

Apeks regs are very simple and dont require any special tools, any competent reg tech would be able to service them providing they had access to the service kits.

Not really true. You still need the proper pin spanners (use 2 to make life easier) and they used to require a cover key. Although I am sure there are workarounds. Also there are many workarounds for Scubapro regs also. Check out the DIY forums for innovative uses for old wine corks and chop sticks.

Also there is nothing wrong with using unsealed regs in salt water as long as you clean them properly afterwards. Most of the regs sold are unsealed. If there was a problem then reg failures would be much more common.

I agree.

Two very nice regulators. Unless you have a personal preference for a piston or a diaphragm first stage, I don't think you will regret either purchase. It was mentioned that if you start diving doubles or sidemount you will find the hose routing from the XTX200 first stage is less than ideal. For diving singles, I really like the routing.

I'm taking two Scubapro MK25/S600's to dive Tubbataha.

It is an excellent reg.

I am headed to Cebu now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom