Scubapro MK25 Postservice Adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikolay_zhelev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

My regulator system (Scubapro MK25/S600/R195) came from annual service and after a few dives I noticed, that my air consumption went too high. I've checked the IP pressure and it was 9.5 bar after service so I decided to decrease it to 8.6 bar as per manual.

I started adjusting MK25 IP via the top hex screw located under the black plastic cap in order to decrease the pressure, but I did a mistake and I tightening the screw when the first stage was pressurised. After that the first stage started squeaking while breathing or purging, so I undid the screw and re-adjusted it following the manual (closing the valve and purging the regulator system prior to every adjustment) until I reached 9 bar.

I've noticed one strange thing - the hex screw on MK25 was very easy to adjust, almost no resistance. Is that normal? Shouldn't the screw be secured somehow?

Secondly from your experience, how dangerous was my initial mistake with IP adjustment under pressure? Is it possible I've introduced some kind of latent problem in my first stage?

Your help and advices will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Nick

Why did you adjust it in the first place? The manual calls for 125-145 psi/ 8.6 to 10 BAR so it was within it's adjustment range. Even if it were slightly out of it's normal range, the IP in itself has absolutely nothing to do with your air consumption unless one of your second stages is free flowing and that would have been an issue with the second stage not the first since it was within the correct IP range.
My point being, you are chasing the wrong problem, unless it's leaking, excessive air consumption is a problem with you, not your regulators.
I don't have any direct experience with the MK-25 so I will not comment on any damage you might have done.

Agree with comments above, line pressure will have nothing to do with air consumption. Adjusting line pressure usually means adjusting tuning on second stage to account for higher or lower line pressure against second stages, less a problem in balanced second stages.
Air consumption can be effected by second stage cracking effort. Again this is an adjustment on the second stage but is still unlikely to effect you air consumption noticeably.
As for damage, very unlikely any damage was done. It is possible to screw the screw off the thread. But as this part does not have any air pressure against it, and does not create or make a seal, it is no problem.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply. Obviously I did a mistake.

Unfortunately the first stage keeps squeaking while inhaling, so I'll send it to the service center again.

Regards,
Nick

this is not an official answer from ScubaPro-

The IP adjustment screw just screws in and out.

what I’ve been told is that adjusting while under pressure can cause the orifice to cut into the HP seat, which could cause the HP seat to get stuck to the orifice.

The squeaking might be caused by lack of lube on the piston stem o-ring, but it could be any number of things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom