SCUBAPro Mk2 EVO R195 Regulator - Thoughts???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smo10018

Registered
Reaction score
Am looking to get back into diving after a very long absence. Does anyone have any experience with this reg? Would be diving at least part of the time in cold water (30 to 40F). The articles show it to have a sealed 1st stage for cold water.

Would I be wasting my money on this or would it be a decent reg for getting back into diving?

Thanks.

I don't know much about the R195, but the mk-2 is an unbalanced non-sealed piston. It is an absolute work horse, simple, reliable, and inexpensive to maintain. The mk-2 has been in the SP catalog almost since day one. It is a little cumbersome for hose routing. I use them on my alternate source for ice diving, my pony for solo, and as my deco stage for tech.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them for recreational diving. Paired with a balanced second stage, it is an economical and reliable rig. There are shops that use the mk-2 as their class regs due to the reliability and maintenance cost.

FWIW, I have 3 mk-2 stages, one dating back to the first generation.

YMMV

Okay thanks very much for the advice. Will have to think about the 2nd stage.

I use them on my alternate source for ice diving

@rhwestfall I'm curious as to how well they do in ice diving ? Any issues with freezing ?

I also have 3 DIN mk-2's on Stage and Pony bottles.

Simple to DIY service too.

At -25F, everything is challenged, but I believe that the lower performance of the MK-2 is appropriate.

edit: though for that extreme, you can't beat a Double Hose (my primary)!

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_10-19-35.png
    upload_2018-1-1_10-19-35.png
    582 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I don't know if it is real or hype, but SP is claiming the EVO "implementation" across the SP line makes them all more cold tolerant. All of my stages pre-date this "improvement", so I can't personally confirm it. That being said, years ago, I used to dive MK-10 firsts (not packed with silicone), and while not having problems, would see MK-20/25 stages have issues in the cold temps of the Great Lakes below the thermocline. I still believe the higher performing stages were more prone to cold water issues, though it may have been that they were tuned too hot, and not specifically an issue with the regulator.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom