SCUBAPRO LUNA WITH SMARTTRAK, LOGTRAK PROBLEMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I love my Luna Dive Computer. However, my attempts of downloading my divelog to Smarttrak and Logtrak was frustrating to say the least.

1: Windows 10: I was provided an Infrared Reader with a USB cable with a small software CD. Forget the fact that new PCs don't even provide CD ROMS on the computers anymore. So I purchased an external CD Reader (you can also download from the Scubapro website). Windows 10 does not provide the USB Port configuration to plug your Infrared Reader into the PC. So, bottomline, I could not load my Luna's divelog to Smarttrak on my Windows 10 PC.

2. MacBook: Upon trying to install Smarttrak on my MacBook, the .exe would not execute due to incompatibility problems. So I loaded Logtrak instead. Well the GPS function using Google Maps does not work because Google changed their protocol. Manually entering location of dives and other personal information on the dives is not possible. My dives did download with limited information associated with the dives.

I called ScubaPro and they verified these problems. Microsoft and Google were blamed. They recommended a third-party software called Subsurface. I started with that on my Mac, but it requires installation of some Linus IRfda software. Well...you know what?? Forget it. I know the software probably works fine, but I don't want to install Linus software on my MAC OS or my Windows PC for that matter.
I did a lot of research on Scubaboard, and everyone was using some sort of work-a-round. What I have documented is a simple explanation for the problems I was having. So I'm using my Luna as my only source of reviewing my dives, even though I can't remember where half of them were located.
Although the Luna is an amazing computer, I would recommend purchasing a BlueTooth compatible dive computer. Shame on you Scubapro.

Old dive computers are essentially the only devices still having irda communication. That’s why Microsoft dropped it from windows, Mac never had it and Linux might as well drop it from its kernel.

But too many people complained to Microsoft and so they brought it back to later versions of windows 10. Subsurface on pc should thus work again with a sufficiently recent windows 10.

I am not exactly sure what you blame Scubapro for. Their old dive computers use an old communications standard that is outdated today.

Scubapro support is apparently full of dumbasses. Microsoft added irda support back into win10 a year or two ago after a big user and vendor outcry. You do have to follow some steps to turn it on. Scubapro should have pointed you to the fairly simple instructions or just told you directly how to enable irda on win10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...vice-does-not-work-in-windows-10-version-1511

Edit: it was added back during a win10 update released April 12, 2016, so over 3 years ago. here's the instructions:
    1. Manually configure the IrDA network by unbinding and binding the IrDA protocol. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
      2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
      3. netcfg –u ms_irda
      4. netcfg –c p –I ms_irda
  1. Flush the updated configuration information to the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. In Control Panel, open the Device Manager item.
    2. Expand the Network adapters node to show all network devices.
    3. Right-click the IrDA network device, and then select Properties.
    4. In the Properties window for the IrDA device, click the Advanced tab.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Close Device Manager
  2. Restart the computer.
  1. Flush the updated configuration information to the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. In Control Panel, open the Device Manager item.
    2. Expand the Network adapters node to show all network devices.
    3. Right-click the IrDA network device, and then select Properties.
    4. In the Properties window for the IrDA device, click the Advanced tab.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Close Device Manager
  2. Restart the computer.
According to MS, if you installed windows (or bought a new computer) after Q3 2016, irda should be enabled by default - meaning you won't have to do any of this.

By the way. Subsurface really is far far superior to the hard to use stuff Scubapro provides. Either way you'll want irda to work. Also, the scubapro software is useful for configuring the galileo's settings such as user info and maps (if you use that feature).

/*rant
It's really a shame that MS effectively killed off irda by not including it when win10 shipped. Until BluetoothLE came out, it was far better than anything else I've ever used for quickly transferring small amounts of data. It's one of those things that "just worked" every time, and every laptop I owned from the 90's up until win10 came out had irda built right in. Even most android cell phones had it until around the galaxy s6 (about the same time period). I miss using my cell phone as a remote control in restaurants :wink:.
*/rant

Another good option is DiveLog. I use it with my Sols, Lunas and G2 on my Mac. It is leaps ahead of the Scubapro software.

@Barbara Morey hopefully @kelemvor instructions will get you sorted on your windows 10 PC. I personally have SmartTrak, Logtrak and Subsurface installed on my PC and they all interface perfectly with my IRDA dongle for my Galileo Sol. Of the three programs, SmartTrack is the best for the Lunar/Sol in my opinion. Although an older interface, it does provides more specific dive information from the Lunar than the other two such as a graphical representation of the computer itself and the ZH-L8 algorithm tissue compartments. Also, as @kelemvor mentioned you can configure the settings of the Lunar via the software.

You should really reconsider Subsurface. An excellent modern free program which is continually developed by a team of very smart diver programmers @atdotde being one of them. It too can capture heart rate and temperature from the Lunar if required. Also its gps/google maps interface works unlike Logtrak.

As for Logtrak, its a real disappointment. Although modern in design, it doesn't have the same functionality as the older SmartTrack and as you said, its gps/google maps interface doesn't work (it once did). And on top of that, Scubapro is marketing its latest hands free dive computer called the HUD (Heads Up Display) and it has GPS tracking! What a disappointment for new owners, trying to log their dives on software that doesn't work. And unfortunately, owners of the HUD (and G2) can't log their dives on SmartTrack either. Their only real option is Subsurface or Divelog as mentioned by @jchance until Scubapro/Uwatec get their act together.

Back
Top Bottom