Scubapro G250V Diaphragm - Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe a Scubapro tech can help with this question. I have a pair of new G250v regulators, and when looking at the blue coloured diaphragm inside the reg from the top cover holes, it looks slightly distorted. The blue diaphragm inside the reg is convex, but it is slightly distored as it curves down from the top of the purge button towards the outside edge of the reg. The distortion is a little more towards the edge, not near the top. Its not distored at all on the actual edge. It is only like this in some areas, others it is perfectly symetrical as it curves down towards the outer edge.

This is the same on both new G250v regs. Is this normal, or something that should be replaced/fixed? Should the diaphragm be perfectly symetrical the whole way around? Or is it normal to have a few distored areas?

See attached images, difficult to capture an image, but gives an idea.

Thanks for your input on this!

Attachments

• g250v-1.jpg
    g250v-1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 132
  • g250v-2.jpg
    g250v-2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 127
  • g250v-3.jpg
    g250v-3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 141
It doesn't look normal to me but hard to tell with the face plate on. Can you remove the face plate for a closer look? I'm sure one of our Scubapro experts will chime in.

subscribed.

What it looks like to me is A- someone over thightened the cover or B- they did not install the slip ring (or it's in the wrong place). There should be a plastic ring between the diaphgram and the top cover. It's purpose is to take up any rotational force from the top cover and not pass it on to the diaphgram. The distortion you see is the result of the diaphgram being twisted between the bottom case and the top cover for some reason. Luckily, silicone takes this abuse well and does not normally take a set. Remove the cover and ring (hopefully it's there), let the diaphgram return to normal and reinstall the ring and cover. There is no need to crank down on the cover hard.

It looks like it's been a little distorted by the cover (faceplate), it's not that unusual. There's supposed to be a friction ring that sits on the diaphragm so when you tighten the cover, it slides on the ring and that ring puts even pressure on the edge of the diaphragm. You could unscrew the cover, make sure the ring is there (it probably is) and then simply retighten it and see if the pressure evens out. I've seen lots of them with those ripples still work fine. Are you getting a honking or buzzing sound when you breathe on it out of the water?

is the keeper pin still in the face plate? If so, it can't be over tightened if it is only set to algn with the holes.....

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. Yes the keeper pin is in place on both the regs. They are both brand new.

While not particularly unusual, as Herman said, the wrinkle is an indication the cover was snugged down too tight or the "slip" ring did not do it's job. As the cover goes tight, it tends to drag the diaphragm against the case sealing surface, if the mating surfaces are not completely true then one portion of the diaphragm perimeter may move or stretch, compared to an adjacent area and thus the wrinkle. If the wrinkle remains the distortion become permeant. I do not consider the small wrinkle you have to be a safety or operational concern, just a lack of finesse or manufacturing quality control.

N

Or is could be an inconsequential (from a performance standpoint) manufacturing defect in the diaphragms. If you remove the cover and the wrinkle remains, then it was probably manufactured that way. Why don't you post your question and pics in the Scubapro forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom