Scubapro First-Stage Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone dive a Scubapro balanced piston first stage (e.g., MK10, 15, 20, 25) with the port turret pointing up rather than down? I have found that, with my Halcyon Eclipse 40#, my standard 26" Scubapro Air2 hose is way too long, even with a 22" corrugated hose and a Dive Alert. Best I can tell, this is due to the fact that the top of the Eclipse air cell is quite large and the shoulder valve is therefore high up--right at the level of port plugs, with the port plug turret pointing down. The upshot is that my Air2 somehow ends up curling outward around the area of my left shoulder--and I have to go searching for it. This same configuration was not a problem with my DR Junior Wing--it has only become a problem with the Eclipse. With the Eclipse, I also have to mount my plate as low as possible on the tank (LP95) because the top of the air cell expands right into the port plug turret and presses hard against the hoses.

In short, it would seem that one way around these problems with the Eclipse is to point the port plug turret of my first stage upward rather than downward. Does anyone do this? Has anyone seen this? Any other thoughts?

I was tought to point the turret down to protect it from banging into stuff like debis in shipwrecks and have always pointed it down. I don't think the reg body cares what way to point it and I have seen them point up a few times.

mahjong:
Does anyone dive a Scubapro balanced piston first stage (e.g., MK10, 15, 20, 25) with the port turret pointing up rather than down? I have found that, with my Halcyon Eclipse 40#, my standard 26" Scubapro Air2 hose is way too long, even with a 22" corrugated hose and a Dive Alert. Best I can tell, this is due to the fact that the top of the Eclipse air cell is quite large and the shoulder valve is therefore high up--right at the level of port plugs, with the port plug turret pointing down. The upshot is that my Air2 somehow ends up curling outward around the area of my left shoulder--and I have to go searching for it. This same configuration was not a problem with my DR Junior Wing--it has only become a problem with the Eclipse. With the Eclipse, I also have to mount my plate as low as possible on the tank because the top of the air cell expands right into the port plug turret and presses hard against the hoses.

In short, it would seem that one way around these problems with the Eclipse is to point the port plug turret of my first stage upward rather than downward. Does anyone do this? Has anyone seen this? Any other thoughts?

Have you considered simply going to a shorter hose. On all my wings my hoses are about 16 inches. My wife dives with a Seaquest Eva and uses an AIR 2. I got a shorter hose; about 18 to 20 inches; and it took care of the excess length problem. And besides it sleeker and just looks nicer.

mahjong:
I dived the MK25 last year with the port turret up. Works fine that way, but it looks like a rats nest and seems vulnerable to snagging stuff on wreck visits. So I've moved the hoses around and will now be diving it turret down, like you've been doing. I've done it that way in a pool with the DSS single-tank rig using the 30# wing. So far this seems OK, too, without the problem you've had with the Eclipse. BTW, is your rig set up so you reach your valve?

I tried it and it just put a knot on my head unless I mounted the tank too low. Why don't you try a 22" std LP hose with an Air2 connector. That should correct your length problem and leave you with an LP hose to attach a bungeed oct if/when you decide to try a conventional rig. If your current Air2 hose does not have the detachable connector, let me know & I'll lend you an Air2 connector if you want to try it.

Not sure which hose you are referring to--corrugated or inflator hose? A shorter corrugated hose would make the problem worse--as AWAP suggests, a shorter inflator hose would likely do the trick.

Jim Baldwin:
Have you considered simply going to a shorter hose. On all my wings my hoses are about 16 inches. My wife dives with a Seaquest Eva and uses an AIR 2. I got a shorter hose; about 18 to 20 inches; and it took care of the excess length problem. And besides it sleeker and just looks nicer.

awap:
I tried it and it just put a knot on my head unless I mounted the tank too low. Why don't you try a 22" std LP hose with an Air2 connector. That should correct your length problem and leave you with an LP hose to attach a bungeed oct if/when you decide to try a conventional rig. If your current Air2 hose does not have the detachable connector, let me know & I'll lend you an Air2 connector if you want to try it.

Thanks, AWAP...I do have Scubapro Air2 adapters, and probably some shorter hoses too. But this would only solve half the problem--I'm also concerned about the top of the wing interfering with the hoses. I have dove the setup and am only just noticing this now--and there is some minor fraying on the Eclipse shell right where the inflator hose protector makes contact. I would be surprised if other Halcyon users who dive shorter tanks (mine is an LP95) haven't encountered this problem.

I have used the exact same set up. The "H" stock size is only 12 inch. I replaced the corrugated hose, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom