Scubapro compass FS2 issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a problem with my compass (Scubapro FS2).
During my first dive on Sunday it was working perfectly (as it was since I got it).
When it was time for dive #2, I noticed that the globe inside was stuck and it didn't move. I didn't smashed it or nothing happened between the 2 dives.
Since I have it, I have always rinsed with fresh water after every dive.
What's going on? Any idea how to fix it?
Thanks!

Sounds like it's popped off the pin. You have little choice but to try to shake it back onto the pin. You might get lucky. Rinsing or not will no effect on the internal functioning of the compass.

I tried the good ol' shaking thing, but it doesn't work.
I've sent it back to the manufacturer: luckily I have a 2 years warranty

The compass was basically brand new (only ~20 dives with it) and no scratches or sign of "bad use" from outside...
Hopefully they will fix the issue without problem. :wink:

I will post the outcome!

UP!
After 10 days at ScubaPro, I got my compass back.
They didn't tell me what the problem was: they've just replaced with a new one (same model).

I had that exact same experience, nearly new FS2 compass locked up. I returned it and the replacement has been trouble free. Did you by any chance remove the compass module to put it in a DSS wrist mount? I did and possibly stressed the module in removing it from the ScubaPro mount. Here's the instruction on how to properly do that if you ever need to:
To release the compass module, lace your fingers together and put the swivel end of each half of the wrist band in the heel of each hand and squeeze the heels together.

About the DSS wrist mount: that is a very interesting question.
My compass is a wrist model http://scubawarehouse.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/scubapro_fs2_wrist_compass_web.jpg and I've never removed it from its normal wrist module.
However, because underwater was wiggling a little bit, I have fixed the problem by using a small bungee chord through the 4 holes (that you can see in the above picture): the bungee was basically help the wrist module to hold the compass .
With this simple DIY solution, the problem of the "wiggling compass" was gone, but after 4 dives, the compass was completely blocked.
Now, I am a scientist, so I need statistic to support my hypothesis, but the fact that the compass died when I used my DYI wrist mount makes me think...

Now, I am a scientist, so I need statistic to support my hypothesis, but the fact that the compass died when I used my DYI wrist mount makes me think...
No, I don't think you broke your compass that way. I was going to mount mine like that but the DSS mount is more secure and lower profile.

No, I don't think you broke your compass that way. I was going to mount mine like that but the DSS mount is more secure and lower profile.
Yes, I think it was just a coincidence too...
Anyway, I was diving with sharks this weekend and the compass worked perfectly!

Back
Top Bottom