Scubapro Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Air II uses a special high flow fitting, but it should come with a hose that you replace you existing BC inflator hose with.

Roak

Bobb once bubbled...
Sydney_diver....
I am considering getting an Air II...but I'm wondering if it will work on my Dacor Nautica WD? I think that the air II is made for an Oceanic BC.. are the fittings the same for the different BC's?
thanks,
Bob

HI Bob
Most Air 2's (there are many variations) fit most BCD's, Roakey is right they come with a high flow hose much the same as your Reg hose. also a wide connection to the Air 2 as oppose to the smaller one used for power inflators only.

The Air 2 connection to your BCD's hose is usually a universal size, that is the existing hose diameter does not vary much from BCD to BCD. It is attached with a couple of Zip Ties the same way as your current inflator is attached.

I would drop by your LDS that has one in stock they only take about 5 mins to swap out.

I have used the ScubaPro and the Tusa Air 2's, both come from the same factory and look almost identical. They are simple to attach and do not require much maintinence, just a good wash in water and an annual service.

They breath as well as your middle of the range Octo

Hi Sydney,

My BCD only as one dump valve on the shoulder, the other one low near the waist. I use dump valve only to descent but not on ascend because they are not as precise as the regular inflator in terms of dumping air.

AirII in my opinion and in 20 or more my group uses, is not as robust as say the regular octopus, they are easier to get mild free flow in the long run. 300 dives, especialy training dives should be allright, you push it more it will show. I know things do breakdown but AirII is quite sensitive in my experience with them. Any air connection that can be un-plugged like AirII, has more risk of contamination. My diving and the location of ur diving may differ, this is why we have different result. I love my Scubapro reg but very much against AirII or its equivalent, don't get me wrong. In any training dive any kind of set up is good because there is no panic in what u do. I had my AirII and my regular long hose octopus when I used to teach because I want my students to learn in real time what are the possible set ups we can have.

If next time u encounter out of air situation in very much more uncomfortable diving environment, you will realize that long hose octopus is a more friendly set up to both donor and receiver. We can't rely on text book perfect OOA situation where ur buddy is supposed to be giving that hand signal and u do the rest, there are times when the situation is more crictical and time sensitive where extra 3-4 seconds does matter.

In AirII buddy breathing situation, in many cases u have no other body position than to be face to face because of the short hose of the primary 2nd stage. This kind of position is not very much good unless for ascending, at times streamlined swimming in current from point A to point B is a must before you can ascend. It is not that we will get into situation like this or want to be in one, but as someone who has been in such situation and realized the drawback of AirII set up and all its inferior copy, I am giving my point of view as an ex-AirII user. As I say ur dive and mine is different and so are our opinions on AirII type of set-up.

Peace:) :)

I have 600 dives on my Air 2 and not ONCE did I have any problems with it. I have used it numerous times in training as well, again never with any problems.
Same with genuine OOA situations.

Hi Sydney,

My BCD only as one dump valve on the shoulder, the other one low near the waist. I use dump valve only to descent but not on ascend because they are not as precise as the regular inflator in terms of dumping air.[?QUOTE]
Why would you need to dump air form your BCD during descent ?
What are you talking about precise ? There is no difference between dumping air from any of the dump valves except the hip ? Sounds to me you need some parctice !

AirII in my opinion and in 20 or more my group uses, is not as robust as say the regular octopus, they are easier to get mild free flow in the long run. 300 dives, especialy training dives should be allright, you push it more it will show. I know things do breakdown but AirII is quite sensitive in my experience with them. Any air connection that can be un-plugged like AirII, has more risk of contamination. My diving and the location of ur diving may differ, this is why we have different result. I love my Scubapro reg but very much against AirII or its equivalent, don't get me wrong. In any training dive any kind of set up is good because there is no panic in what u do. I had my AirII and my regular long hose octopus when I used to teach because I want my students to learn in real time what are the possible set ups we can have.
I am qualified to Servcie Air2's both Scuba Pro and Tusa. I have NEVER seen an Air2 Freeflow in the 4 years i have serviced them.
What contamination what are you talking about ?
Mate I dive in all conditions and the Air2's have never failed.

If next time u encounter out of air situation in very much more uncomfortable diving environment, you will realize that long hose octopus is a more friendly set up to both donor and receiver. We can't rely on text book perfect OOA situation where ur buddy is supposed to be giving that hand signal and u do the rest, there are times when the situation is more crictical and time sensitive where extra 3-4 seconds does matter.
Rubbish, donating the Primary to the OOA, and using the Air2 yourself works a dream. I have been in 2 OOA situations deeper than 100Ft with Air2's and never had any problems getting to the surface panicked diver or not they work just fine.

In AirII buddy breathing situation, in many cases u have no other body position than to be face to face because of the short hose of the primary 2nd stage. This kind of position is not very much good unless for ascending, at times streamlined swimming in current from point A to point B is a must before you can ascend. It is not that we will get into situation like this or want to be in one, but as someone who has been in such situation and realized the drawback of AirII set up and all its inferior copy, I am giving my point of view as an ex-AirII user. As I say ur dive and mine is different and so are our opinions on AirII type of set-up.
CRAP in any OOA situation you asscend, why the hell would you want to swim anywhere but up in an OOA, in an OOA situation you should be face to face anyway, then the donor can keep a very close eye on the OOA diver in the event of any further problems.
There are no drawbacks to using the Air2 in recreational diving, they are a fantastic bit of gear. All the arguments you have made are rubbish.

I doubt very much your diving conditions vary much from mine, but I have dived with the Air2 in all conditions from fresh water lakes to Deep walls to 1ft vis.

Re: Dive Alert

Can't agree with your assesment of the Dive Alert. I sure don't have your number of dives, but in a year I haven't had a problem. After a diving incident where a bunch of us were floating toward a reef being pounded by surf, and we did everything but stand on each other's shoulders and whistle dixie to get some help.

It would have been nice to have a devise loud enough to get some attention. Never again without!

Jim

plongere once bubbled...
Re: Dive Alert

Can't agree with your assesment of the Dive Alert. I sure don't have your number of dives, but in a year I haven't had a problem. After a diving incident where a bunch of us were floating toward a reef being pounded by surf, and we did everything but stand on each other's shoulders and whistle dixie to get some help.

It would have been nice to have a devise loud enough to get some attention. Never again without!

Jim

The main problem I have had with Dive alerts, is if they get even the smallest grain of sand in them and you press them on they jam on, I have seen it over and over again with these little buggers. The only way to stop them is to disconnect the LP hose, then pull them apart back in the shop. In the case of an Air 2 on the same hose as the Dive Alert BANG you just lost your backup...

Whats wrong with a good whistle attached to your BCD ?

Also the Dive Alerts dont last long, they start to leak air at the quick connect.

Sdyney,

I guess AirII has improved today than in 1995 or they might be a few bad batch. My experience with a few Air II were not so favourable, please stop talking as though as any AirII should never develop minor problem. If I stated that my AirII and others of my friends were not as trouble free if compared side by side with our long hose octopus, it is true, in our case. This is an open forum, you may express ur good experience with AirII being as much as I may express mine. U and I are just a few of the thousands users world wide, grow up mate, some people are just having opposite experience to urs. Glad to hear urs is flawless, don't we all want that in all our gear ?

Why would you need to dump air form your BCD during descent ? What are you talking about precise ? There is no difference between dumping air from any of the dump valves except the hip ? Sounds to me you need some parctice !

I don't know if u love to invite me for arguement or are you trying to pick on me.

WHY WOULD U NEED TO DUMP AIR FROM UR BCD DURING DESCENT ? Do I need to teach you why ? Ok will do. Do you know that there are times when people like to put on their BCD in the water instead of on the boat. Do you know that the BCD will sink if u don't put air in it ....my my...this is beginning of the dive dude, even without weight intergrated system it will sink. If I float that BCD, don't I need to dump air when I want to descent, or should I put extra 4kg weight just to sink :eek:ut: ?

A shoulder dump valve which is connected to the big hose assy of the inflator/deflator mechanism is not primarly designed for releasing air out of the BCD like how the proper inflator/deflator specificaly exist for. Yes, a dump valve do it faster but the more often you do it, the more stress u are applying on the that stainless steel pull cable. Pull that every time and u know what I mean. Also on ascend, that dump valve which can dump air in more quantity is not as precise as inflator/deflator mechanism in terms of releasing volume of air , which why the designer built it an inflator/deflator mechanism in the first place. If what u mean as "practice" is to release air via dump valve only to pump another small burst via the inflator/deflator to compensate for over dumping of air......sorry, I rather not learn that kind of skill.

Rubbish, donating the Primary to the OOA, and using the Air2 yourself works a dream. I have been in 2 OOA situations deeper than 100Ft with Air2's and never had any problems getting to the surface panicked diver or not they work just fine.

Good for u in those 2 OOA u do fine with ur AirII set up. I sure hope u have good manners as an instructor, cause exchange of friendly opinion in a forum do not need "RUBBISH" added in.

CRAP in any OOA situation you asscend, why the hell would you want to swim anywhere but up in an OOA, in an OOA situation you should be face to face anyway, then the donor can keep a very close eye on the OOA diver in the event of any further problems. All the arguments you have made are rubbish.

CRAP + RUBBISH = More rubbish.
Stop teaching and start diving more for the fun of diving, it will give you a more open mind. Sydney, I realy don't believe that a person of your qualification have not even been to a dive spot where you can NOT just ascend to surface in OOA, without having to swim for some distance. I am not talking of cave and wreck penetration. This is one of my favorite place, close ur eyes and visualize u as a diver there.

There is this big rock by the Indian Ocean which is 700 meters away from an island. It is about 200 meters long and about 70 meters wide, it lies lenght wise as South-North. It pop out from the deep ocean some 20-30 meters into the air. The first sand u hit is at 160 feet and it goes much deeper heading west. We can call it like a wall but the only difference is that, this western side, the entire 200 meters long almost always get slam by the oceanic wave, naturaly the eastern side is quite calm, only surge. The current too head from the west slamming the rock. White foamy water from surface to about 30 feet, depending on weather. Hanging 60 feet or deeper on this western side of the rock demands good hold on the rocks, but the reward is great cause pelagics roam this up current and surge infested water. This place is not dangerous, just rather demanding.

In OOA situation at this place, I CAN NOT just ascend up as per ur advice, unless my head and body is made of Titanium and willing to be slam on the rocks. This is also not a tecnical dive, this is a recrational dive, just a little exciting that's all. It is also impossible to swim against the current heading west to deeper and calmer water, cause the current just too much for that. On scuba no way you gain distance, on freedive, maybe. So the only option is to swim to the eastern side of the rocks where there are only surge and no slamming on the rock, or just clear away from the entire western rock and drift away from the entire rock into open sea. Both ways, some swimming distance is required, at least a 100 meters in no fun condition. Try doing Romeo & Juliet body position on AirII for that long swim and get ur buddy hitting you again and again on that short hose primary reg of urs. With a longer octopus hose, the receiver can hold on to the donor tank valve and swim a bit on top of him or be side by side without much banging and mouth/lips looking funy dragged by a 2nd stage. If this is a left hander octopus, more comfort it is.

Now u tell me, all ur bragging of "Rubbish" and "Crap" and u can't even think of such a simple real life scenario like this....my my and u r guessing my diving is similiar to urs. Gee Sydney, stop seeking higher education and start real diving, like I did 6 years ago. I am no thrill or danger seeker diver. I try to enjoy my dive in anyway possible, the safest way possible. Try to accept that u r not the only diver on this planet with a common text book knowledge and know it all. Jesus Christ.....be more matured in a forum will ya.

Kind Regards,
Iya

IyaDiver
I only have on more comment, a recreational Dive is counted as any dive that you can make a direct asscent to the surface.

In technical diving as you speak IE caves and wrecks where penetration is present you are no longer making a recreational dive, but a technical dive.

I would not advocate the use of an Air2 in Technical diving.

The Air2 's are fantastic for Recreational Dives at recreational Depths, but in any situation where deco or penetration is present then ditch the Air2

Enuff Said

Back
Top Bottom