Scubapro Air 2 octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I can be of a assistance to your non posted poll. It stinks and its dangerous.

Amongst my gear I have most of the commonly used setups - I rig and dive the 7' primary with bungeed second, the "standard" open water primary with octopus, and the standard primary with integrated second (I own and use both the Air2 and AirSource). I use all these rigs in training drills frequently. Both the Air2 and the AirSource breathe quite well at recreational depths. Both have inflate and deflate valves that are the equal of standard BC inflate/deflate valves, and both allow easy manipulation of those valves while breathing the safe second attached to them during an OOA buddy team ascent.
I honestly don't know what to attribute comments like "stinks" and "dangerous" to - they are obviously not talking about the same pieces of equipment I use and train with routinely. Or they're asking these pieces of equipment to do something they weren't designed to do.
As a safe source of breathing gas/BC power inflator & dump valve during an air sharing ascent, these integrated devices perform reliably, safely and well. Furthermore, I choose to dive the integrated rig on recreational open water dives because I like it and have judged it safe.
Rick

I'm also shopping for a set up. I'm just wondering.... Of those of you who thought the ScubaPro Air II was a bad idea or dangerous, how many of you have actually practiced using them? I couldn't really tell from your messages.

I want to try one, but that means buying one. Thanks to all of you who told us about how it's worked for you.

Hi there IamLevis

I have, and really like the AIR2. I check mine before every dive just like with my primary reg.
One problem you might run into is the size of the large bore corrigated hose for mounting the AIR2. The SeaQuest line of BC's has a smaller hose for the inflator than the ScubaPro line of BC's.
It'll fit, but you'll have to work at it.:boom:

My wife and I have been using Scuba Pro Air 2's on our recreational and teaching kits for 5 years, never had one fail, never had one leak.

Done 3 real OOA situations from 100ft+ and over 200 OOA in teaching.

They are great for recreational diving, but not for technical or deco diving

I like mine...the only time it fouled me up was during an OOA drill when doing "Rescue" training. My instructor grabbed my primary...and I grabbed for the corrugated hose and mouthpiece on my left side...it was my snorkel...oops!

This weekend, I had an encounter with a low-on-air diver. As I raised my Air 2 towards my mouth and got ready to hand off my primary, he took the Air 2 and put it in his mouth. Mind you, this was not my buddy who knows my gear, not a member of my party, not even from our boat, so this was a very intimate encounter with a total stranger. Fortunately, I was holding on to an ascent line, so we weren't going anywhere in terms of bouyancy. We got it sorted out and made a safe ascent, but I will be going back to a traditional octopus.

I like my Air 2. In fact I have the BC you refer to (Pro QD+, which I like). My wife and I practiced a bit as we both went to the Air 2 setup. We were a little nervous at first, but after practicing and talking, we just understood that if either of us ran out of air, we would signal (if not totally freaked out), and grab the others primary. Obviuosly this means that we would have to go to our Air 2. By the way, I don't have any trouble breathing through my Air 2, which I did a lot of during the first few dives. Yes, you have limited head movement, but I don't think you'll be sightseeing down their in a OOA situaation. My wife actually went low on air on one of our first dives with the Air 2, and we practiced doing OOA drill the whole way back. Plus we did some practicing during the first few dives.

I recommend putting you primary on a yellow hose though. I will be. With a primary and oct, it is easy to get at least ONE reg if yours comes out of your mouth. It is a little harder to find just one, in my opinion, and a yellow hose may help you find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom