Scubapro 1st stages...clearing up the mess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´m a little fed up about the repetitive coments about the freezing showed by mk25´s....these coments repeats again and again..in the bottom i think is a flat race between apeks and the former DIR blessed Scubapro designs...

two things are clear....apeks (like other diaphram designs) are outstanding regs...and ARE the way to follow in VERY cold water...specially if divers are not very careful with their regs in cold conditions using high flow first stages like sp25´s are..

for most divers the temp is by FAR higher than required for piston regulators in order to operate with no problems at all..otherwise SP have several advantages over apeks in my opinion...

-a little higher performance (not easily noticeable by diver)
- SP are evolutive designs , can be updated progresively and parts are available for a VERY long time even for vintage models...
- parts and service are available worldwide (i´ve found SP dealers from north america, south america to australia, europe, asia, etc...in some places dealers and parts for apeks are a lot harder to find)
- good selling price...

Apeks is in my opinion a simpler, a little less performer but a much better overall design (service is easier, less tools required, dry sealed first stage, etc)..but the advantages numbered above overcome all these good points in my opinion...

will_tekkie:
I´m a little fed up about the repetitive coments about the freezing showed by mk25´s....these coments repeats again and again..in the bottom i think is a flat race between apeks and the former DIR blessed Scubapro designs...for most divers the temp is by FAR higher than required for piston regulators in order to operate with no problems at all
I couldn't agree more. Everyone hears that pistons are not good for cold water and like I have been saying all along, 50 deg. is not cold water. People get paranoid over this little thing. Or people diving on the border of 55 deg. wondering if the reg is going to come out a block of ice. This is all overexaggeration and you will not have to worry about an open port piston until you hit 40deg. or lower.
Will you have it all right my man, apeks is a little easier to service and has less parts and more verstility,while the SP is a little more wolrd renowned.

Back
Top Bottom