Scubaphotoschool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all you Scuba photo nerds :) no offense please but I like your input.
I have been diving for 10 years now holding a Master Scuba Diver Cert and been involved in Underwater photography for the last good 5 years, mainly as a hobby even thus yes I been able to sell some of my photos to some "non photographers" dive buddies while on a trip.

Here goes my question, I like to teach "newbies with camera" some of the skills I acquired over the years while they are on vacation and Im on a extended stay usually 4+ weeks.
How would you try to approach a dive shop you are offering such a service for a fee to their dive clients? Has anyone done it before or can pass along some info would be great.

I don't have a FULL DSLR Gear (I use a Mu43 E-PL3 system with strobes and dome) nor do I plan all you pro's out there to teach you new tricks rather the vacationer with its compact camera that sets it to underwater mode and starts "snapping" even thus there is so much more to come back with MUCH better results if set to manual or even a rental strobe.

Every time I go diving in the Caribbean or Asia (the usual vacation spots) I get approached if I can pass along some photos. No I won't give em away for free anymore, my gear costs quite some money and its my risk. (I know you DSLR folks your gear is MUCH more than mine) But its my opinion and would be nice to earn some extra $$ while on extended trips.
Thanks for any advice. Yes I setup a small website just to be more legit if that makes sense.

Are you a certified instructor or divemaster with liability insurance? Need that at a minimum to work out of a LDS and teach anything.

probably the best way to get a favorable response is to offer the shop a piece of the action :)

I'm a Dive Master, but don't have the insurance as I don't work as a Dive Master, just did it for myself during one of my extended trips to gain skills and maybe use later as a side retirement income or so. Right now Freelance Engineering consulting pays better :) But my hobby is photography and Scuba diving, so since a lot of tourists always approach me for photos, I thought why not offer it more professional on the side.

---------- Post Merged at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:27 PM ----------

probably the best way to get a favorable response is to offer the shop a piece of the action :)
Like what would be reasonable? Any suggestions? Thanks

I am not sure about US but in UK you can offer seminars and coaching sessions not sanctioned by any agency as long as people pay you. If you do this in a pool is pretty much 100% safe
The issue is if you take people and offer them lesson on a boat there will be someone there doing the same business so you need to find some kind of agreement
I also would recommend you teach people that have an advanced qualification so that there are no major risks of issues

Back
Top Bottom