ScubaBoard Quotes - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
OK we all have seen them at the bottom of a member's post. Some we liked and some ... well they are just "special".

Here are 20 quotes, in no particular order, that I liked from threads I have been associated with. What your are favorites that you have seen?

1) ajduplessis
  • You can’t breathe water
  • You can’t swim through rock/steel
  • Extra gas is never too heavy to carry
  • Murphy is your eager and willing dive buddy
I don't care how good or experienced you are complacency on your next dive WILL catch up with you!!

2) leabre
I'm more concerned about doing my best, rather than being the best

3) azjohnnyo
"What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?"

4) searcaigh
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. Frank Zappa

5) eponym
If leading dives is herding cats, is leading training dives herding Schrödinger’s cats?

The measure of a good dive plan is its impermeability. Poor dive plans, on the other hand, tend to be water-soluble.

6) awap
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

7) DaleC
If no one reinvented the wheel we’d still be driving around on stone wheels.
There are no rules in diving, only consequences.
Diving is not swimming underwater; it’s flying in a denser atmosphere.

8) parzdiver
LIFE is what happens to you, LIVING is what you do with it.

9) iris_ice
hope floats…

10) bill22
“I spent a lot of money on whiskey, women and dive gear. The rest I just squandered.” – El Orans

11) Shipwreckscanada
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

12) T23
All who wander are not lost

13) Phil­_C
“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.” Edward Whymper
- on climbing the Matterhorn, but equally applicable to diving.

14) TSandM
Calimba: "That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball . . . "

15) Malpaso
It’s not that life is so short, it’s that you’re dead for so long.

16) highdesert
Whatever I wrote, it's only my opinion.
" ... when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent. "
-Dave Barry

17) Pullmyfinger
“Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this.”
“Then don’t do that!”

18) Jax
"It's the size of an alligator." - says HC - about the lizard in the bathroom . . .
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles
"There are no accidents in cave diving, just fatalities." - Andrew Whyte
"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

19) sheeper
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those “who would do us harm.” – Winston Churchill

20) fjpatrum
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
He who dies with the most toys still dies.
There are 2 ways to be rich - make more or desire less.
No rain, no rainbows.
Take it easy.
-Hawaiian rules to live by

I think several of my favorites come from Rick Murchison:

"An exploded goat is not proof of a good decompression strategy."

"Decompression is measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk, and cutting with an axe."

"Every staged decompression dive is an experiment you are carrying out on your own body. Keep careful notes."

My current sig line wasn't on SB until I put it there, but it's from BabyDuck, summarizing our Calimba dives.

Back
Top Bottom