Scubaboard Live Chat Room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How bout a real-time chat room for all logged in scubaboard members?

Let me guess, this has been brought up before several times, but nobody is interested?

It'd be cool to get real time answers to questions but it would take away from the forum section. A lot of people read the archived stuff. A chat room would mean less responses to forum questions and therefore less archived references.

how would they moderate it? It would be a riot in minutes.

WW

Having a live chat area would, IMO cut down on most of the meaningless, non dive related threads, thus freeing disk space and maybe lowing the op costs.

As far as moderation, I think at most times a mod is on line and if someone alerts them to a situation, they could monitor the conversation and see if action is required.

I would hope that editing threads is the exception and not the standard work that the mods have to perform.

Pez.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
how would they moderate it? It would be a riot in minutes.

WW

Live Chats are moderated all the time. All you need are the mod tools...ie the abilty to kick folks out of the room and ban them for various amounts of time.

Peace,
Cathie

There is a live chat mod for this software I'm pretty sure. And it has all the goodies to kick and ban people (temporarily or permanently). I'm all for it!! You're right- in that it would eliminate a lot of the reaaaaly off topic threads, but the only downside is that I usually like to read those threads.. :( :(

a chat program called mIRC could do the job.

You can also make administrators.

As far as I know it's all free.

The only bad thing is that people would have to download the program to access the chat room.

Of course there is still the possibility to get an Internet based chat room.

I would imagine chat rooms could be used for lectures eg DIR etc ?I think it would be great. there are some real talented experienced people who it would be great to hear from on lots of issues. I for one would love to "listen" to Doc V give a lecture on Dive medicine and watch the interaction of the other dive docs.

Cherry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom