ScubaBoard list of computers w/digital compasses and how well they work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a ScubaBoard list of computers with digital compasses and how well they work?

Personally, I want to get a wrist mounted computer with a somewhat functional digital compass (or even a bad digital compass) and maybe air integration, if I can shut off the 'air time remaining info').

But I do not know how to chop away all the computers that do not have a compass built in to start my search.

The ones that seem to have a compass built in:

Wrist mount:
DiveRite Trio (and other brands of the same computer)
Oceanic Atom 2.0
Oceanic OC-1
??

Console: (personally not interested in a console computer, but):
Atomic Cobalt
??

The Oceanic Atom 2 does NOT have a compass built in. Neither does the Atom 3. The OC1 however, does.

As for consoles - the Suunto Cobra 2 and Cobra 3 DO have compasses. The Suunto D9 watch also has a compass.
The Cobra 2 has a somewhat limited range of tilt. They fixed that in the Cobra 3 and its compass works pretty well.

Is there a ScubaBoard list of computers with digital compasses ......
HERE you go .... 11 computers with Digital Compass in the Dive Computers Research Tool. Most of them have videos too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The Scubapro/Uwatec Galileo Sol has a great digital compass. A single press of a button displays the compass, and you can set it to revert to normal display after a predefined number of seconds, or set it to only revert to normal display when you push the button again. You can also set return reference points. It is also accurate while tilted off horizontal. I love the Sol's compass.

Updating the list using the resources of dive computer training:
HERE

Thanks DiveNav

The ones that seem to have a compass built in:

Wrist mount:
DiveRite Nitek Trio (and other brands of the same computer)
Oceanic OC-1
Suunto D6
Suunto D9
Suunto Vyper Air
Uwatec Galileo Sol (Great compass)
Uwatec Galileo Luna
Uwatec Galileo Terra
Liquivision X1
Liquivision X1-L
Mares Icon

Console:
Atomic Cobalt
Suunto Cobra 2 (so-so compass)
Suunto Cobra 3

Last edited:
HERE you go .... 11 computers with Digital Compass in the Dive Computers Research Tool. Most of them have videos too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Again thanks, but why is the Nitek Trio (Zeagle N2ition, Tusa whatever you call it) not on that list, and not on your site?

With the UWATEC Galileo series, besides the Sol, you also have the Luna (a little less expensive but still AI) and the Terra (not AI). All three have the digital compass feature. The Terra was discontinued this year, but you may still be able to find a new one.

I have the LUNA after trying a couple of Suuntos and I think you will be hard pushed to find a better compass. Even with the compass on you get most of yyour dive information at the bottom of the screen.
It's a great bit of kit.

I don't have a digital compass but when I played with the compass of the Cobra 3 in the store, I was not impressed.

I don't have a digital compass but when I played with the compass of the Cobra 3 in the store, I was not impressed.
The Cobra 3 has to be calibrated before use. I have a Cobra 3, and once calibrated the compass works pretty well, I feel.

Back
Top Bottom