ScubaBoard is not responding due to a long running script

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was the 1st thing I did, close SB and reopened no good. Then I rebooted still no good, had to delete all my cookies etc.. that worked. I've been leaving SB open at home since I joined in 2009 never had a problem until a couple of weeks ago.

If this is a new issue that appeared out of the blue, then I would suggest looking through your history to see what may have changed on your system.

Quite frankly, there's no support that I can really offer for this "problem" only suggestions...

I say "problem" because I don't know if the users who are reporting issues of "nonresponsive scripts" are using the latest versions of their browsers, plugins, etc.

Clearly, this is not something on ScubaBoard that is actually broken, so as far as site support is concerned, this isn't something that I can fix on my end, so I said, I can only offer some advice:

If the non-responsive script is a flash banner in a google ad, there are literally thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of possible google ads that you are seeing on ScubaBoard and elsewhere on the internet, which may or may not be the cause of the problem for you. This would make it nearly impossible to guess what the actual cause is, without me actually seeing the problem occur on your computer.

So, what can you try?? You can change your google ad preferences by clicking on the "AdChoices" icon in the upper right hand corner of any of the google ads you see.

Also, you can either disable all plugins in your respective browsers and see if that resolves the issue, and then put each one back in one at a time until you figure out which browser plugin you are using is responsible for the non-responsive script.

Phew... it sounds like a lot of work? Maybe the simple solution is to try another browser for a while and see if maybe it's just a browser problem?

Me personally, I use Chrome with Window 7 Professional, and have a window open all the time, and don't have any non-responsive scripts causing timeouts, errors, or crashes.

If there was in fact something broken with SB, I would most certainly try to fix the issue as soon as possible.

Since in the OP, you asked for "some advice" - this is what I have... I'm going to mark this as answered, and if there's any compelling information to point me in the direction of an actual problem on SB, then I'll revisit this issue.

Thanks.

Interesting, thanks. I've been seeing those AdChoices icons and assumed they were a part of the problem and would be dangerous to click on. Can you really do something useful (and safe) by clicking on them?

I have had the most trouble with ScubaBoard on an older XP machine at work---with an older browser. My Windows 7 machines behave better & I'm using Chrome at home.

If this is a new issue that appeared out of the blue, then I would suggest looking through your history to see what may have changed on your system.

Quite frankly, there's no support that I can really offer for this "problem" only suggestions...

I say "problem" because I don't know if the users who are reporting issues of "nonresponsive scripts" are using the latest versions of their browsers, plugins, etc.

Clearly, this is not something on ScubaBoard that is actually broken, so as far as site support is concerned, this isn't something that I can fix on my end, so I said, I can only offer some advice:

If the non-responsive script is a flash banner in a google ad, there are literally thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of possible google ads that you are seeing on ScubaBoard and elsewhere on the internet, which may or may not be the cause of the problem for you. This would make it nearly impossible to guess what the actual cause is, without me actually seeing the problem occur on your computer.

So, what can you try?? You can change your google ad preferences by clicking on the "AdChoices" icon in the upper right hand corner of any of the google ads you see.

Also, you can either disable all plugins in your respective browsers and see if that resolves the issue, and then put each one back in one at a time until you figure out which browser plugin you are using is responsible for the non-responsive script.

Phew... it sounds like a lot of work? Maybe the simple solution is to try another browser for a while and see if maybe it's just a browser problem?

Me personally, I use Chrome with Window 7 Professional, and have a window open all the time, and don't have any non-responsive scripts causing timeouts, errors, or crashes.

If there was in fact something broken with SB, I would most certainly try to fix the issue as soon as possible.

Since in the OP, you asked for "some advice" - this is what I have... I'm going to mark this as answered, and if there's any compelling information to point me in the direction of an actual problem on SB, then I'll revisit this issue.

Thanks.

As I posted in an earlier post, SB is the ONLY site where I have this issue. I don't know if that's compelling enough for you, but I'm convinced it's a SB problem. Like I posted it's solved now and if it happens again I know the fix.

I get this or something very similar at work. It does ask if i want to stop runing the script though. Just assumed it was teh work network responsible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom