ScubaBoard Is Invading Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at all the designs is fun, but I'm still waiting to see my handsome mug on one...

Tee Hee, You know how the ladies love me.
:ijs:

We have 2 new threads!

Here are some of the important links for
the ScubaBoard Invasion 2015
to help everyone to stay informed.

Last edited:

I'm very sorry these first two sites were chosen as examples of somewhere to find out about the history of Cozumel. Their sections about history are rife with misstatements, mistakes and misinformation. They have included so many errors, myths and fairy-tales that it is easier to point what is correct than it is to point out all the BS. These two sites are clear examples of webmasters who chose to cut and paste info from dubious internet sources rather than do any serious research or consult any scholarly publications.

As far as Wikipedia goes, I gave up trying to clean up the Cozumel and San Gervasio pages a long time ago. Since anybody can post anything on Wikipedia, trying to rid these two pages of myths and legends that were masquerading as facts was a constant battle. It was like playing “whack-a-mole;” as soon as you deleted one insane statement, another one would pop up. Wikipedia IS NOT a reliable source of information. Calling Wikipedia an encyclopedia is like calling the bulletin board at the supermarket the Yellow Pages.

You can find some reliably researched articles about Cozumel history by going to www.everythingcozumel.com and clicking on the internal link “The true history of Cozumel.” All the articles on that site have been meticulously researched and used original 16th, 17th, and 18th century manuscripts from government and university archives as sources and NOT cut and pasted drivel from tourist-orientated websites. This site also has a free, downloadable map of downtown and one of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom