Scuba Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelled a few times "solo" and never had a problem with assignments. I went on a liveaboard in Thailand at the new year where I was the only "solo" on the boat and had a great time - if there is no one else I usually end up with the DM which is not a problem normally for them or me.

One of the main reasons I really got into diving was because I could travel alone and would not get too badly stung on the single supplement issue.

Now I just need to get the other half in the water - she tried skiing this weekend and is now busy planning our next trip, hope I have as much luck with the diving then this is a non issue!

Jonathan

I've travelled solo to many places in the world, often the diving was simply being in the right place at the right time and not really planned at all. My wife is also a great diver and we often travel together, however, sometimes she just isn't interested in doing the same dives as me.

My approach is most often to simply tell the DM that he's diving with me, or more correctly that we'll be watching over the rest of the group together. Confidence is most often what operators are looking for, after all, they usually have their hands full with recently certified divers.

Early on in my diving, I would eagerly accept being paired with another solo diver. Not any more! Too many really bad experiences with divers who claim to be more than they are. If I'm diving with the same group for several days, I can usually spot someone I don't mind diving with after the first couple of dives. Bottom line for maximum bottom time, is to choose your dive buddy carefully!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom