Scuba unit used in Cousteau films?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have found a youtube channel with many Cousteau films and have been watching almost every night. They used some scuba units that I have not seen in any other videos. The units are a hard case that hangs over the divers shoulders and a strap that goes under their crotch to hold the unit in place. Here is one video with the unit in question . So anyone know what this is and how it worked?

My guess would be that they are just doubles put into a fancy "streamlined" cover with some kind of bcd hidden under it.
Too many bubbles for a rebreather :wink:The tube on the left side of it might be the inflator.

Simply love how this guy lights up his cigarette with pleasure over the ocean map table :)

Last edited:
You are referring to the “Hydrodynamic Aqualung”.

It contained 4 cylinders and a chest mounted double hose regulator.

There was no BCD.

It had two canisters, one was the batteries for the headlamp and the other was intended for communications, but the communications didn't work. The two canisters are inside the two bumps visible on the back.

They also did not use any SPG's. Cousteau found them distracting and did not like them in camera. Instead, one of the 4 cylinders had an independent closing valve and it was kept closed as reserve air.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.flashbackscuba.com/museum/Cousteau Experience/CousteauFrameset-1.htm

You can also explore more of Cousteau’s equipment in the Flashback Scuba museum.

Cousteau Experience

Here are some pictures from FlashbackScuba Museum. Thanks to Ryan.

13.jpg

15.jpg

31.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I will check out the links provided.

Here's a link with all the information:
http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/313

That link is a discussion about the UDS-1. The UDS-1 was a US Divers attempt to capitalize on the looks of a yellow shell. From far away it may look like the Cousteau/ Calypso diver kit, but it is not. It is not even close to the same system.
The UDS-1 was never used by Calypso divers and it is very different.

The Cousteaus used a number of different hydrodynamically design multi-tank units over the years. Here is one on Jean-Michel that I took during the filming of a 1985 documentary for TBS (Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World):
Jean-Michel Cousteau on Alcyone 02sm.jpg

The Cousteaus used a number of different hydrodynamically design multi-tank units over the years. Here is one on Jean-Michel that I took during the filming of a 1985 documentary for TBS (Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World):
View attachment 377823

Here is the system you are showing.

According to Flashback Scuba , that was used for “Rediscovery of the World (1986-1999)”.

From FLASHBACK SCUBA:

Cousteau Experience

"One of the most unique tank sets used by the Cousteau Teams, this set contained four 5000 psi titanium alloy tanks and held as much air as double 80s at fraction of the size and weight."

11.jpg

12.jpg

Note: you may notice that the 5000 psi system shown above used a yoke connection.

They also used the commercially available RAID system. According to Flashback Scuba they used the RAID system for “The Cousteau Odyssey (1977-1982)” and also during the “Rediscovery of the World (1986-1999)”.

The Technisub RAID is a well thought out and well designed system. That is the only commercially available system in a shell that the Cousteau team ever used.

10.jpg

The Cousteau team used it with La Spirotechnique Royal Mistral as shown below.

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

All pictures are from to Flashback Scuba. Please visit Flashback Scuba for more information.

Vintage Scuba Museum

And if you are ever near Tacoma Washington stop by and take a look at all this gear in person and say hi to my friend Ryan.

Last edited:
The Raid is/was an interesting system, it had a J valve that would reset itself above a given pressure so you could not accidently move it to reserve mode with full tanks and 2 yoke connections so it could be filled with the regulator still installed. The tanks are 2 steel 80 cf Fabers with oddball tank threads (British Straight pipe thread). It is a bear to dive however. At over 10 lbs negative in saltwater and no BC, managing your buoyancy was not easy. I had the opportunity to dive one on Bonaire a number of years ago. It was fun to dive but without some additional buoyancy, I would not want to dive it a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom