Scuba Tech Tips w/ Alec Peirce on YouTube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a guy with one on the boat a couple weeks ago. Captain would not allow him to spash because his inflator was leaking, had to disconnect the hose, which means he now has no backup reg. He would have been allowed to go if it was just an oral inflate issue. He was upset, lol.

I heard this story before. My answer, is how is this any different than if his safe second was leaking? The captain would have still made him wait out the dive. So whether the safe second was on a 40" hose, bungeed around his neck, or integrated with the inflator it does not matter. The diver should have checked his gear prior to the dive.

I also would question the captain's judgement for allowing someone to dive with a non-operable inflator. Because unlike a safe second, which is rarely used in a dive, an inflator is always used on a dive. Very few divers practice manual inflation of a BC for buoyancy control anymore. The training is mostly manual inflate to get to the surface or manual inflate on the surface.

@tbone1004 This mentality that we should all be alike, in my opinion is just wrong. I would be willing to bet that everyone here on ScubaBoard drives a different vehicle from the next, and for different purposes, so why should we all be diving the same equipment.

I felt the same way as you did, until I read a transcript of a talk GI3 gave. In his talk George attributed his rapid rise in the WKPP, not to his diving skills, but to more senior members dying in diving accidents. Part of the problem was the equipment another was the training. Because it was a voluntary organization people dove with whatever they owned which created numerous problems. They also had various levels of training. So when he became head of the organization he mandated standardization of gear, he admitted it was not a popular decision but one that needed to be done for safety reasons. He also started standardized training. Divers know their team's equipment because it is the same as their own. They know how their team will react because they are all trained the same way. I would assume public safety diving uses a similar philosophy.

On SB people tend to focus on the equipment rather than the philosophy. I remember one GUE-trained diver mentioning "her team" standardizes the backup lights so they can swap batteries. I thought that was funny.

Part of the problem is that the only real guide to DIR is JJ's book, which was published in 1999 or 2000. So some sections (like lights) are out of date. There are also some inconsistencies in the book. For example, it says you should only take what is needed on a dive and it also says you should always dive with the same gear. So does that mean that you should wear cave gear on a tropical non-overhead dive? I don't think so but some do. His book needs updating.

To me DIR means preventing problems before they happen and if they do happen they are dealt with in an efficient manner.

As an aside, I also find it funny that no one mentions the UTD channel on YouTube.

I've corresponded with Alec. He is a fine man. He's entitled to his opinion as anyone of us.

DIR to me means Doing it Relaxed. Have good streamlined equipment and relax. Don't worry about all the politics that have crept into diving and put one group against another. I really believe that all divers are special people.

it also says you should always dive with the same gear. So does that mean that you should wear cave gear on a tropical non-overhead dive?

It means the gearset is appropriate for either dive so there is no real distinction between "cave gear" and "tropical non-overhead gear" to begin with.

. For example, it says you should only take what is needed on a dive and it also says you should always dive with the same gear. So does that mean that you should wear cave gear on a tropical non-overhead dive? I don't think so but some do. His book needs updating.

I'm not GUE certified, but while my gear on an Aggressor trip in the Caribbean isn't the same as that for a cave dive in Mexico, the differences are minimal. Single tank instead of doubles, no primary light but the same two backup lights on the same D-rings, 5' hose instead of 7', SPG clipped off in the same spot. The whole point of the GUE configuration is that the basic platform stays the same, and you can add to it as needed without having to change everything else around.

Last edited:
It means the gearset is appropriate for either dive so there is no real distinction between "cave gear" and "tropical non-overhead gear" to begin with.

I would disagree. A typical configuration for a Florida cave would be double tank, 3 lights, and a drysuit. For a daylight dive in the tropics is any of that needed?

I'm not GUE certified, but while my gear on an Aggressor trip in the Caribbean isn't the same as that for a cave dive in Mexico, the differences are minimal. Single tank instead of doubles, no primary light but the same two backup lights on the same D-rings, 5' hose instead of 7', SPG clipped off in the same spot. The whole point of the GUE configuration is that the basic platform stays the same, and you can add to it as needed without having to change everything else around.

I understand what you are saying but you are not wearing the same gear.

I would disagree. A typical configuration for a Florida cave would be double tank, 3 lights, and a drysuit. For a daylight dive in the tropics is any of that needed?

He never said you're supposed to wear the same tanks everywhere and the same exposure everywhere. That would be nonsensical.

He never said you're supposed to wear the same tanks everywhere and the same exposure everywhere. That would be nonsensical.

I agree but that is how some interpret it. If you look at one of Achim's videos he says when diving single tank wet he wears SP seawings. Some would say he is not DIR because he is not wearing a rubber fin. Same thing with the 7 foot hose, unless you are in some sort of overhead environment it is not needed. However, again feel that it is not DIR unless you have a long hose. The list goes on and on.

I've corresponded with Alec. He is a fine man. He's entitled to his opinion as anyone of us.

DIR to me means Doing it Relaxed. Have good streamlined equipment and relax. Don't worry about all the politics that have crept into diving and put one group against another. I really believe that all divers are special people.

I am sure that he is, but he old and he rambles. He is also a bit forgetful. For example in one video he shows divers how to adjust a regulator to stop it from free flowing. Great information but he neglected to mention that you should depress the purge button first to prevent the orifice from cutting the seat.

There was one video where he said you should not press the purge button when soaking a regulator and then another saying it was ok if it happens that the water will not back up into the first stage. I don't believe this is true, especially if the second stage is higher than the first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom