Scuba tanks messed up my car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chebby

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had my scuba tanks and wieghts and other stuff in the trunk for a while and did a lot of travelling with them. Now my Nissan Altima is sitting on it's butt even after I removed all the weight. I think "shocks" are busted if I got the term right and it will cost me. Anybody had the same probllem? Sorry, I just have to whine about it to someone to get it out of my system.

Actually, it's not the shocks themselves that have collapsed, but either the springs or possibly one of the suspension components have failed. However, the Altima (like many Japanese and European cars) uses what's called a "McPherson Strut" which is a combined spring and shock absorber unit.

As long as you have not exceeded the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of your Altima, there is no reason to blame the carrying of scuba tanks for the problem you are having. As with most modern cars, your Altima was equipped with 3 seatbelts in the back, meaning Nissan meant the car to carry 3 average sized adults in the back...though they don't pretend it's going to be a comfortable ride :11: You'd need quite a few scuba tanks to equal that much weight.

BTW what year is your Altima? Reason I ask is because of your location(s) and the harsh winters, which means road salt. If it's an older car, it wouldn't be unusual for suspension mounting points to rust through, particularly the rear strut mountings (when you open the trunk, it's the long cylndrical shaped bulges above the wheel arches). Also, if NYC's roads are as bad as people say, the constant pounding of potholes could eventually cause suspension failures, especially if already weakened by road salt.

here is the solution:

remove tanks and weights from Altima place in back of Jeep, truck, van or Ute.....

Kick tyers of Altima, drive off to dive site in Jeep, truck, van or Ute.....

Problem solved.

I never checked the GVWR rating for Altima, but doesn't that refer to weight evenly distributed along the car's four tires? I, on the other hand, had all the weight in the trunk >=200 pounds. Also (I think), mass stored in a trunk translates into more weight when hitting a pothole because it is located forther from the axis. When coming back from NY yesterday, I put the tanks and weights in the passenger compartment, even on the front seat to try to balance the car a bit.

I was not aware of the damaging potential of salt, I will ask the mechanic if he sees signs of rust.

My Altima's year is 2000, it's in pretty good shape.

I will have it checked next week. I am not a DIY but my father in law is. He also mentioned something about springs and shocks being connected on my car.

RonDawg:
Actually, it's not the shocks themselves that have collapsed, but either the springs or possibly one of the suspension components have failed. However, the Altima (like many Japanese and European cars) uses what's called a "McPherson Strut" which is a combined spring and shock absorber unit.

As long as you have not exceeded the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of your Altima, there is no reason to blame the carrying of scuba tanks for the problem you are having. As with most modern cars, your Altima was equipped with 3 seatbelts in the back, meaning Nissan meant the car to carry 3 average sized adults in the back...though they don't pretend it's going to be a comfortable ride :11: You'd need quite a few scuba tanks to equal that much weight.

BTW what year is your Altima? Reason I ask is because of your location(s) and the harsh winters, which means road salt. If it's an older car, it wouldn't be unusual for suspension mounting points to rust through, particularly the rear strut mountings (when you open the trunk, it's the long cylndrical shaped bulges above the wheel arches). Also, if NYC's roads are as bad as people say, the constant pounding of potholes could eventually cause suspension failures, especially if already weakened by road salt.

Mark, I would, but I am what you would call a treehugger. I would be driving a hybrid if I could buy a used one cheap. :wink:

cancun mark:
here is the solution:

remove tanks and weights from Altima place in back of Jeep, truck, van or Ute.....

Problem solved.

Three average sized adults can be almost 600 pounds.

200 pounds in the trunk should not have really done a lot of damage.

As for a new vehicle, try finding a minivan with good gas mileage.. on many you can add some leaf springs to the back. My buddy did this to his mid 90s Caravan and it's a great gear and people hauler.

cancun mark:
here is the solution:

Problem solved.

You forgot to do the most important part.

Tow the Altima to the dive site with the Jeep, truck, etc. Tie lift bags to four corners of Altima. Gear up and go for a dive taking the car with you. Sink that sucker in about 60 feet of water.

Where are you diving? Red Hook?

Chebby:
Mark, I would, but I am what you would call a treehugger. I would be driving a hybrid if I could buy a used one cheap. :wink:

Well, that's your choice, but I drive a dually(Dodge 1-ton)- can you imagine how many tanks it takes to make the back end of that beast squat!?! :wink: Besides, there's nothing finer than plumes of diesel smoke and the whine of a turbocharger!

Back
Top Bottom