Scuba tanks for welding gasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit envious of flux core capability. Sigh, oh well...

If I did a lot of welding, I'd rationalize why I 'NEED' it. But no.

Hindsight (IMHO):
If you can only justify one process then go with a DCEN, DCEP, and AC machine that will go as far over 100 amps as you can afford. You can buy rods for almost everything.

If you have money to burn, add TIG. Super clean, meaning not much 'smoke' but for TIG, you NEED really tight fits and CLEAN metal surfaces. Now you are into argon, though. I love fussing with it, check out TIG gloves vs stick gloves if you have any doubts. Anyway, penetration is what you dial in along with gorgeous beads as Eric already stated. Can weld exotic alloys too. Whatever you do, don't buy one from a 'Big Box' store, theirs won't even shut off the argon when you cut off. Ask if post-flow is adjustable...

Oxy-acetylene (torch) welding. It still has its place. I really enjoy it. It shines when it comes to brazing. (If one could only buy those lovely fluoride fluxes of days gone by.) Brazing is a very underappreciated process today. And then there is the rite-of-passage of hearing a !BANG! just as you thought that you were the backhand master of the puddle.

I started with a 'best compromise' (for me) machine, a Miller Synchrowave 180. (Lincoln is just as good), I have no preference other than my supplier pushes Miller. Do your research and buy once, cry once. I still use the machine and have no reason to replace it. (/IMHO)

I'm a bit envious of flux core capability. Sigh, oh well...

If I did a lot of welding, I'd rationalize why I 'NEED' it. But no.

Hindsight (IMHO):
If you can only justify one process then go with a DCEN, DCEP, and AC machine that will go as far over 100 amps as you can afford. You can buy rods for almost everything.

If you have money to burn, add TIG. Super clean, meaning not much 'smoke' but for TIG, you NEED really tight fits and CLEAN metal surfaces. Now you are into argon, though. I love fussing with it, check out TIG gloves vs stick gloves if you have any doubts. Anyway, penetration is what you dial in along with gorgeous beads as Eric already stated. Can weld exotic alloys too. Whatever you do, don't buy one from a 'Big Box' store, theirs won't even shut off the argon when you cut off. Ask if post-flow is adjustable...

Oxy-acetylene (torch) welding. It still has its place. I really enjoy it. It shines when it comes to brazing. (If one could only buy those lovely fluoride fluxes of days gone by.) Brazing is a very underappreciated process today. And then there is the rite-of-passage of hearing a !BANG! just as you thought that you were the backhand master of the puddle.

I started with a 'best compromise' (for me) machine, a Miller Synchrowave 180. (Lincoln is just as good), I have no preference other than my supplier pushes Miller. Do your research and buy once, cry once. I still use the machine and have no reason to replace it. (/IMHO)
I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
It’s gas cooled, an ok machine.
I tried a Miller equivalent 180-200 gas cooled at another guys shop and the Miller kicked the Lincoln’s ass then mopped the floor with it. It was worlds better, smoother, etc. I still don’t understand exactly why but it was.
I got the TIG originally to weld up boat railings when I had my marine business. That stuff is only 1/16” thick at most so the 185 was fine.
It’s not so fine when I’m trying to weld aluminum on AC cranked to 185 max. It gets so hot that it throws my breaker and overheats the machine, and I can’t even hold the torch. I really need a Miller 300 water cooled but I don’t have an extra ten grand laying around, so it’s back to stick with aluminum for now.
At least the stuff I’m doing in aluminum doesn’t have to be presentation quality visually. Stick is fine and strong but can look like bird sh!t.

I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
It’s gas cooled, an ok machine.
I tried a Miller equivalent 180-200 gas cooled at another guys shop and the Miller kicked the Lincoln’s ass then mopped the floor with it. It was worlds better, smoother, etc. I still don’t understand exactly why but it was.
I got the TIG originally to weld up boat railings when I had my marine business. That stuff is only 1/16” thick at most so the 185 was fine.
It’s not so fine when I’m trying to weld aluminum on AC cranked to 185 max. It gets so hot that it throws my breaker and overheats the machine, and I can’t even hold the torch. I really need a Miller 300 water cooled but I don’t have an extra ten grand laying around, so it’s back to stick with aluminum for now.
At least the stuff I’m doing in aluminum doesn’t have to be presentation quality visually. Stick is fine and strong but can look like bird sh!t.
Again, if you like the Miller, you can grab one for a grand. I am wirefeeding 5356 (not 4043) on 110v getting good penetration on 1/4" 5086 plate.

Back
Top Bottom