Scuba tank to power air tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... for the $157 bucks listed for parts (which I think you can actually do cheaper because you can get a LP regulator for the hose for $20 to $50 bucks at Harbor Freight), you can buy a decent small compressor.

I've got this Craftsman 1hp 3gal compressor that I picked up at SEARS for $89 bucks. I think it came with the hoses and everything. it runs a 18ga nailer and a 15ga nailer just great for "quickie jobs" around the house. (I use my larger compressor if it's a bigger job.

Neil, thanks for the link. It pretty much confirms what I was planning to do.
I would just add that someone else strongly suggested I use an Over-Pressure
Relief valve for safety reasons in case of first-stage failure. An old second-stage
will do just fine as a O/P relief mechanism--it should start free flowing.

All I'm doing is operating an 18-ga Brad nailer and stapler. I don't need alot of
CFMs. The regulator will never be used under water (nor has it ever been so far),
and I need to use my tank because of noise limitations (while people sleep, I work!).

I just used a 1/4" NPT to inflator whip fitting to use an impact wrench underwater. Worked perfectly.

matt_54351:
it is a linear ratio, so if you doubble the temp of the tank (in C) at 1500pis tank pressure will go up to 3000 and you get more time from your tool.

I know this is an old post, but the thread was bumped so this bit of bad info needs commenting on. :)

You need to double the temp in K (kelvin) not C (celcius) to double the pressure. In celcius, the pressure would change by the ratio (t2+273)/(t1+273) where t1 is the old temp and t2 is the new temp.

For example, going from 50C to 100C would give you (100+273)/(50+273) = 1.154 times the pressure, not double.

dhampton82:
You can get a little compressor for about $100 at any hardware store. That would be less then getting 20 fills on your tanks and alot easier than running back and forth to the dive shop for fills.

I'm with you on this one. Why use expensive breathing air to power tools when you can go buy a small shop compressor for dirt.

I don't want to leave the realm of diving, but I am a finish carpentry contractor who from time to time uses a 20lb CO2 tank for compressed gas for air tools. Instead of a modified scuba regulator you can connect a soda fountain regulator (prefererably with a pressure gauge). It works like a charm, is pressure adjustable, and inexpensive, and best of all, quiet. Oh, yeah, it's light and very portable, too! Refills are around $8 at my local fire extinguisher refill place. I can get around 800-1000 finsih nails out of a tank. Which is quite a bit for small pieces of work or installations.

amajamar

I'm trying to do this to run an angled die grinder to grind a little fiberglass for a boat repair, and also have limited garage space. The SCUBA Air Tools reference cited above uses a REGULATOR / LUBRICATOR. Do I need a lubricator in line to run rotary tools like die grinders? Thanks.

BTW, trailer theives have been using these setups to grind off your trailer padlock in seconds!

I'm trying to do this to run an angled die grinder to grind a little fiberglass for a boat repair, and also have limited garage space. The SCUBA Air Tools reference cited above uses a REGULATOR / LUBRICATOR. Do I need a lubricator in line to run rotary tools like die grinders? Thanks.

BTW, trailer theives have been using these setups to grind off your trailer padlock in seconds!

Check the instruction book of your Die Grinder, but chances are it needs compressor oil to lubricate it. You don't have to have a fancy lubricator, but can just pour a small amount into the nipple inlet before each use and re-lub as needed while using. (note this will spurt out oil the first time you trigger the air, so good to have a towel to sheild it).

Also, that lubricator he calls out for $99 is kinda high on price. You can pick up one of those for $15 to $25 from Harbor Freight. Note those serve multi purposes of regulating to a set presssure, as an air filter and a lubricator. If you use it as a lubricator, it will oil up all your hoses. You might not want that. So some folks don't use the oil in it and just mannually lube for short jobs.. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom