Scuba Tank for silent DIY shop compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Brian G I'm all for DIY and have done a lot of DIY stuff. My problem is where it isn't practical

The OP listed DIY as a goal, so buying one at Lowes is not a practical way to satisfy that goal. If I wanted a picture of a fish to put on my wall, then the most practical by far way of doing that is to buy, or download and print, a picture of a fish. If I want to put a picture of a fish on my wall that I took myself, however, buying one is not an option. I understand that the goal of most photography is not solely "to put the result on my wall." For this project it seems, the OP's goal is not solely to have a quiet compressor, but rather to make one.

Certainly for my money and time, if I wanted a quiet compressor, I would get the one at Lowes. The new quiet compressors are so much nicer than the loud one I have now. I was just commenting that here on Scubaboard often we skip the reading part and get right to advising.

I was just commenting that here on Scubaboard often we skip the reading part and get right to advising.
I'm pretty sure that we all read the OP. That doesn't mean we can't infuse a bit of common sense into this discussion. I worked as an automotive technician, aka mechanic, aka grease monkey, so I made my living off of my wits, my hands and my tools, including lots and lots of air tools. I've been invited over to help lots of friends and have seen their Frankenpressors. Yeeeeesh! They seem to spend more time trying to make them work than they spend using their tools. I usually would use their manual tools instead of deal with their frustration. In other words, I've seen lots of time and money wasted on something that can't work.

Make a list of the tools you own and the ones you want to own that will be used off of this compressor. Look up their requirements and make decisions from there. It's like Scuba: fit and comfort is all important.

BTW... if you're tool poor, find a Maker Movemant or Hackerspace in your area. I have access to lathes, mills, laser cutters, 3D printers, welders, and a lot, lot more... including compressors. What I don't know how to use, others do and are more than willing to share their skills.

I was living in Hawai'i the early 80's, and on Johnston Island most of the '90's. I get how Hawai'i works, thanks.

Just read the above.
Johnston Island in the 90's? Hope you got a lot of experience breathing out. A few years before that, my company had a maintainace contract at Claussen which taught me that trilam suits are specified for single use only, and wearing a beard was a no-no.

Michael

The OP listed DIY as a goal, so buying one at Lowes is not a practical way to satisfy that goal. If I wanted a picture of a fish to put on my wall, then the most practical by far way of doing that is to buy, or download and print, a picture of a fish. If I want to put a picture of a fish on my wall that I took myself, however, buying one is not an option. I understand that the goal of most photography is not solely "to put the result on my wall." For this project it seems, the OP's goal is not solely to have a quiet compressor, but rather to make one.

Certainly for my money and time, if I wanted a quiet compressor, I would get the one at Lowes. The new quiet compressors are so much nicer than the loud one I have now. I was just commenting that here on Scubaboard often we skip the reading part and get right to advising.

correct, but my issue is spending more money for something that is inferior for most applications which is why I alluded to this being more Rube Goldberg than anything. I provided suggestions on how I would do it and what would be involved if you were to go the route originally asked, but figured it prudent to give a much more reasonable suggestion on how to skin that cat

correct, but my issue
His real issue is that he has a truly gargantuan shop compressor at work... How many CFM? I was truly shocked when you told me once.

His real issue is that he has a truly gargantuan shop compressor at work... How many CFM? I was truly shocked when you told me once.

3x 500hp screws that produce somewhere around 2500cfm each give or take at 95psi then 1x 150hp that produces somewhere around 500cfm at 150psi :-D
They're silent to me since they're in an out building very far from my office as well! At home though I have a pair of California Air Tools 4cfm jobbies, same as what's in my Pelican case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom