Scuba tank for air gun blow tool / tire inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an old Dacor reg this way. The over-pressure relief is a good idea, and a 2nd stage should work for that. You can plumb a standard air-tool quick release fitting to one of the first stage LP ports for an alternate means of attaching downstream pieces. I left the scuba LP hose in place and added a male fitting to the main hose I use. It's also got a simple adjustable air-tool regulator with pressure gauge, so I can step down to any pressure.

I find the volumetric flow is pretty inadequate for forceful cleaning. I think many or most first stages have restricted flow designed in. There may be some that are better than others for this purpose, or modification of the restriction may be possible - I've never looked into that.

I use an old Dacor reg this way. The over-pressure relief is a good idea, and a 2nd stage should work for that. You can plumb a standard air-tool quick release fitting to one of the first stage LP ports for an alternate means of attaching downstream pieces. I left the scuba LP hose in place and added a male fitting to the main hose I use. It's also got a simple adjustable air-tool regulator with pressure gauge, so I can step down to any pressure.

I find the volumetric flow is pretty inadequate for forceful cleaning. I think many or most first stages have restricted flow designed in. There may be some that are better than others for this purpose, or modification of the restriction may be possible - I've never looked into that.

I run pneumatic tools from a scuba tank. A cut off wheel and chisel, to be specific. They both require a pretty high flow rate. One trick it to run a longer than necessary hose between the regulator and the tool. A longer hose, serves as a reservoir of intermediate pressure gas and allows you to operate the device in short bursts without relying too much on the flow rate from the regulator.

I run pneumatic tools from a scuba tank. A cut off wheel and chisel, to be specific. They both require a pretty high flow rate. One trick it to run a longer than necessary hose between the regulator and the tool. A longer hose, serves as a reservoir of intermediate pressure gas and allows you to operate the device in short bursts without relying too much on the flow rate from the regulator.

And with a 50' air hose you don't have to lug the bottle around, a twofer.

Bob
------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom