SCUBA shop that will issue be an AOW card after a few days diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scm007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Been diving 20 years, 200+ dives. Running into an issue with people requiring AOW cards. I don't want to take a course to learn to "night dive" when I've already done it 20 times or wreck dive etc given what I've already done. Where can I find a shop to dive with for a few days and pay for the cert fee? Sick of the PADI shakedown scam such a terrible organization. 50 USD for a " digital card". The grift in this business is so frustrating. Don't get me wrong I get the purpose but back in the day your logbook was what counted not whether some 21 year old dive instructor gave you a piece of plastic.

I had the same issue even with nearly 30 years of logged deep dives. Operators wouldn't take me without the card. You'll have to just get the course done, PADI is pretty easy and quick. The key is to find the right instructor.

Been diving 20 years, 200+ dives. Running into an issue with people requiring AOW cards. I don't want to take a course to learn to "night dive" when I've already done it 20 times or wreck dive etc given what I've already done. Where can I find a shop to dive with for a few days and pay for the cert fee? Sick of the PADI shakedown scam such a terrible organization. 50 USD for a " digital card". The grift in this business is so frustrating. Don't get me wrong I get the purpose but back in the day your logbook was what counted not whether some 21 year old dive instructor gave you a piece of plastic.
If you don’t like PADI you can use whatever agency you like. But unless it’s a totally shady shop, you’re going to have to take - and pay for - the course.

Also, at an average of 10 dives a year, I’m not sure you have the cred to be tossing around that amount of ‘tude.

I’m not sure you have the cred to be tossing around that amount of ‘tude.
I got CRED !!

1718075068293.png

Also, at an average of 10 dives a year, I’m not sure you have the cred to be tossing around that amount of ‘tude
I was going to add something similar.

Do an AOW course with some agency then you're done.

There used to be a line, most knew where it was and how long you should spend on either side
Then those that didn't quite understand the line wanted the line moved it was and I can't find it

I once issued an advanced card to a diver without any of the onerous requirements of conducting a class. I was conducting an OW class for his wife. He showed me his royal navy diving log which started with dive 6001 and was somewhere north of 6800 at the time I reviewed it.

A diver with 200 dives? So what? Go get some diving experience.

I literally just did my elearning portion of AOW in four days. Could’ve done it in one or two if I sat down and went straight through. As for the dives, if you like to dive anyway, the dives shouldn’t be a big deal. Then you’re done. If you’re already a proficient diver, I imagine that portion should be a relative breeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom