Scuba Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BC- black diamond or sea quest balance
Reg- apex xtx 50
Computer-d9 or vyper

Aqualung makes some great stuff with the pro deal you shoould be able to get some top notch gear at a great price.

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to know where i could start looking. Thanks to All

Scuba Board is one of the best places to ask about specific equipment you are considering. There are thousands of divers online who have likely tried out the specific piece you are looking at. Otherwise, the dive magazines put out equipment reviews just about every issue that you can go online and check out.

Look at which regs, computers, and BCDs you like right now...then search on the SB or online for reviews on those devices. Sportdiver.com has their own review group that puts out some interesting information...but just remember, any review, whether from "professional" or new diver is still an opinion and personal preference...you still have to decide for yourself what's important and what isn't.

The aqualung prodeal allows me to get Fins, mask, snorkel, Suit, boots, BC, and Reg. I was wondering if you guys suggestions on which items i should get for those categories. I get about 60% off and i would like to keep my budget below $1000

Legend LX________________________________________List $665
Legend Alternate__________________________________List $220
Suunto Analog 3 Gauge w/ SK7 Compass (back mount)__List $335

MSRP just for Reg Set_________________________________$1220
Less 60%____________________________________________$488

Sea Quest Wave BC w/out IW___________________________$325
Aqua Flex 5 mm Wet Suit_______________________________$375
Blade 2 Flex Fins______________________________________$140
6.5 mm Barrier Boot____________________________________$60
Look 2 Mask___________________________________________$80
SideDraft Flex Snorkel___________________________________$29

MSRP for Part Two____________________________________$1009
Less 60%____________________________________________$404

OK, your diving gear suitable for Baja Mexico and Hawaii - $892 before tax.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get into a big hurry about getting the full kit, take your time and you can save yourself some money and you shouldn't end up with a couple closets full of equipment that you upgraded as you discovered better gear.
Here's a couple thoughts for you...

Mask, low profile, black.. just make sure it fits for two issues.. that it wont leak big time, but a very small amount... I actually like having my mask leak just a small amount (mustache).. I use the water to clear the lens while diving and I constantly blow out with my nose to clear the water while it clears the lens fogging ... and an added benefit is that I never ever get a mask sqeeze because I have a small constant flow of air/water going in and out of the mask.

And the second item is that it should be low profile and just lay above the bridge of your nose, but you don't want a mask that at depth sqeezes down on your eye bridge, you will come up with a bad pain in your head.
An easy way to check this is put the mask on at the store and push the mask towards your face with your index finger at your eye bridge...

Snorkel - lots of folks don't like em... I use mine to give me better air time... here's how...
My computer has graphing capability and I have studied when a lot of air gets blown on a typical dive... Its when you first get into the water on your decent... why... because you just jumped into the water, your mind is playing a few tricks on you and you will breath harder and deeper breaths on the way down... then at bottom depth your mind settles and you become more relaxed your breathing will slow. There's alot of air gets blown just going down to depth.

So, how does a snorkel help with this... a minute or two before you jump in, breath off of the snorkel, then just before you jump in put the regulator in your mouth, you'll use less air on the decent because you have pre-conditioned your mind that you are now in a slightly restricted breathing pattern... I like the scuba pro models... the smallest they make.

Fins- I like Scuba pro splits - I'm sure there are others as capable.. what you don't want to get is a fin that is so stiff that you end up with cramps all the time... you want a fin that is flexable to work with your legs and still give you thrust. One of the best ways to choose a fin is to take a couple different fins you might want and do surface laps in a long pool... it won't take long for you to know what fin works for you that way.

Boots- get a set of boots that have a good under sole... are easy to put on and take off. Many on the market to choose from.

BC- I think you will see alot of people that dive alot seem to get a standard BC and then migrate to a back inflatable type ( wing ) If you want to save yourself from going from standard BC, soft back wing (Zeagle) then to a hard back- wing type BC.. I'd suggest you look into putting together a hard back (plate) wing setup from the start. You can get a small travel plate and thread your own webbing to your size ( you can't outgrow a plate/harness ) and choose just about any wing you want to put on it... Its the ultimate as far as configuration options, if your want integrated weight pockets, put em on.. you want quick release buckles, put em on.. what size of wing.. your choice... just put em on. The setup is also of the three types the least boyant, better
streamlined and I'm sure I'm missing some other positives but you get the idea.

This should get you started on your way...

Welcome to SB, but feel free to use the edit button on your first post! :confused:

I mostly wonder; did you read the OP (original post)?

And the second item is that it should be low profile and just lay above the bridge of your nose, but you don't want a mask that at depth sqeezes down on your eye bridge, you will come up with a bad pain in your head.
Mask squeeze is due to not equalizing a mask; it does not matter if the mask is "high profile" or "low profile" as long as you know how to equalize a mask.

Snorkel - lots of folks don't like em... I use mine to give me better air time... here's how...

So, how does a snorkel help with this... a minute or two before you jump in, breath off of the snorkel, then just before you jump in put the regulator in your mouth, you'll use less air on the decent because you have pre-conditioned your mind that you are now in a slightly restricted breathing pattern... I like the scuba pro models... the smallest they make.
If this works for you it might be "only" because you have convinced yourself it works. The rest of us might "more" easily get the same results just by relaxing and not worrying about breathing off our snorkels before we jump.

Fins- I like Scuba pro splits
this, the previous SP remark and the following BP/W comment are the main reason I ask if you read the OP; he gets the deal on Aqua Lung gear.

I'd suggest you look into putting together a hard back (plate) wing setup from the start.

better streamlined...
I encourage everyone to give their opinions about the dive gear they have experience with, when facts are not available. AFAIK, which BC is most streamlined is not supported by fact or data, just by opinion, IMHO. If you know of a verifiable study to support this statement, please give us a link.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom