SCUBA Safety Product Proposal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silly me, and I thought the purpose of engineering was to develop practical solutions. . .

He's not an engineer. He's a student doing a student project.

Using historical data, how many accidents/fatalities might this device have prevented and at what cost?

Using historical data, how many accidents/fatalities might this device have prevented and at what cost?

Every fatality on the Spree (Since I've been around) has been a heart attack with drowning. Heart attacks underwater are fatal, end of story. I believe that the body gives warning of an impending heart attack. You're at prime heart attack age, and I am too with my weight problem and history of high cholesterol. What is it worth to you to live 10 more years?

Every fatality on the Spree (Since I've been around) has been a heart attack with drowning. Heart attacks underwater are fatal, end of story. I believe that the body gives warning of an impending heart attack. You're at prime heart attack age, and I am too with my weight problem and history of high cholesterol. What is it worth to you to live 10 more years?

Yes, I do recall 2 incidents. But what is that? Two out of 20,000 divers? And, what difference would your being able to monitor those heart attacks have made? At some point, it is just not cost effective to attempt to extend life - even if it were mine.

Sounds like it would useful to the commercial industry. Monitoring folks on a tether when they are doing dangerous underwater work.
Perhaps it could save some goeduck divers or water tank scrubber.
With the commercial operations, the tender would be in charge of monitoring, yes?

Yes, I do recall 2 incidents. But what is that? Two out of 20,000 divers? And, what difference would your being able to monitor those heart attacks have made? At some point, it is just not cost effective to attempt to extend life - even if it were mine.

Of course, and good point. As a class project, I would think that this is more about the thought process to design a new monitor and market it, not an attempt to actually build such a thing. I could be wrong...

interesting concept, but it likely will only tell us quicker what the incident was (or is), rather than the usual many months for the coroner's report...

So who will be making these critical decisions? Some zero to hero instructor that teaches on their knees? And what parameters will be used to decide if a decision is necessary? And who will treat the victim, recover them, rescue them, etc.? And what happens when divers decide their vitals are none of your business? Who is the intended consumer? The recreational diver with more money than common sense? And will the system have universal monitoring zo expensive receivers are not necessary? I know, just run a wire to every diver! Will then require monitoring of vitals as they get entangled in the wires!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Research like this can result in opportunities for others, even maybe you. After all you are quite the whiny malcontent about your current job. Perhaps you are just a bit jealous. Why not applaud the efforts of a high achieving student, who might just be on his way to a successful career.

To the op. I applaud your efforts. As you become more successful, you will come across folks who take out their personal failures by trying to foil the success of others. Remember, you might not always succeed. Not everyone can start "Apple Computers" in their garage. What is important you never quit.

Often times research in one direction spins off in another to create something new and marketable.

One of the most important decisions you will make is deciding whose advice you will seek. Not everyone will have your best interests at heart.

---------- Post Merged at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:00 PM ----------

We've had three since late May in the Palm Beach area.

Sounds like it would useful to the commercial industry. Monitoring folks on a tether when they are doing dangerous underwater work.
Perhaps it could save some goeduck divers or water tank scrubber.
With the commercial operations, the tender would be in charge of monitoring, yes?

This could easily be used with commercial divers by making it a hard wire connection through the umbilical but I think it would only be useful in the more extreme types of dives not the every day type. The Navy could defiantly use this as part of other research they are doing but I do not think they would need it in open water. Sending the information up to the average charter boat would not be of much help so I would eliminate what seems to me to be the hardest part of the project. This could be more useful as a black box of sorts as part of a dive computer that is also logging current information about the dive at the same time so you could see both cause and effect. If the computer can also monitor tank pressure and account for depth you would also have your air consumption rate at the same time. This could be very important to anyone who is treating an injured diver after the fact. I also think there are enough divers out there who would take this information and compare similar dives using different equipment configurations to see what works best for them and it would also be useful to manufactures looking into the same thing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom