Scuba Pro Mk25 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Mk 25/S600/R390 set up with the swivel on top but I keep banging my head on the darn thing. Is it acceptable to flip it upside down and rearrange the hoses?

It is normal to have the swivel pointed down so that you don't hit your head on it. The only times I have seen Mk 10/15/20/25's pointed up is when they were used with a very short tank valve and lacked adequate clearance from the tank's shoulder.

I've never been accused of being "normal" - and I typically mount my Scubapro MK25 or MK20 first stage with the swivel on top, and my primary second stage hose connected to the LP port in the center of the turret face. The Scubapro manuals indicate this port is rated for 15% higher flow. I don't usually bang my head, but found some interesting neoprene first stage wrap-around covers on Ebay in the last 6 months that appeared to be designed just for first stages like this. At $5 each, I decided to buy a few, and I really like them - especially when diving independant doubles. I've never seen these in any dive shop I've been in though.

To each his own.

as mentioned to each his own. With this and everything else. Do what works for you. Either flip it or lower your tank. You should only have to touch the HP hose though because of the swivel. duhhh !!!

on MK10s I put the swivel down (the "normal" way) but my husband puts it up, he likes it better that way, probably it works because he's tall.

I should also mention my first stages have DIN connections - so when using a DIN to yoke adapter, they do tend to project out laterally from the tank valve on tanks with yoke-style valves. This is when I find the most "head-banging" occuring. On tanks with DIN valves, the first stages fit much closer laterally to the tank valve (naturally) and I have no "head banging" when using tanks with DIN valves whatsoever.

And, I'm not sure if I qualify as "tall" but I'm 6'-1", so maybe something in common with Damselfish's hubby.

I do use a longer than typical second stage hose as well - around 40" - for my primary second stage when doing recreational diving, and this pretty much eliminates "hose pull" issues for me. I use this same hose length for my "short hose" when doing technical diving, the other hose being 7' long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom