Scuba Pro Jet fins v Oms Splitstream fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawlings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for some PRO,s and CON,s of both fins . Give me your opinion how well they work in these areas and rate them ( rate 1 to 10 , 10 bing the best)

Scuba pro jet
ease of leg kick(power stroke and return stroke) ___________
use against a currant ___________
trim ___________
doning and duffing ___________
manuvarability ___________

Oms splitstream
ease of leg kick(power stroke and return stroke) ___________
use against a currant ___________
trim ___________
doning and duffing ___________
manuvarability ___________

They both look very similar so doffing and donning would be the same given you would want to use spring straps anyways. the original straps are pain to use.

They are both meneurable as they are both blades.

A big disadvantage of the OMS I find and that's why I did not buy them is that they are close to being neutrally buoyant. This removes a powerfull tool for adjusting the trim.

I also found that the jets are more flexible and they work nicer when doing a modified flutter kick. But that might be really down on the bottom of the list of pros :)

I have both.
Jets are negatively buoyant, oms fins are neutral.
i use the oms ones when diving in a wet suit or when I travel to reduce weight.
the jets, I use when I dive dry.

I haven't really noticed a difference in performance with either one. I have used the oms diving dry as well.

For me, the jets fit more comfortably. I have really small feet.
the slip stream foot pocket feels wider.

I prefer my jets which I use diving wet... I have the OMS SS I use when dry but wish I had gone with the jets again but at the time, it seemed like a good idea... So I am looking for a 2x jet and would sell my 2x SS... (hint hint)

But this is just me, also I am not a fan of floaty feet and I feel this way with the OMS and I do not want to use ankle weights... again, that's just me! lee

Edit; sorry... they are both good fins and as ianr33 stated,
Just get whichever fin has the correct buoyancy for you. That's the big difference.

Last edited:
I love my Slipstreams, for both wet and dry, although I might try the Jets again with my dry suit. Whichever ones you get, be sure and add spring straps. They're extremely maneuverable and "ease of leg kick" probably won't be an issue, as you'll end up frog kicking with them most of the time anyway. (And backing up, and helicopter turning...)

I have both, I use the slipstreams.......why have something negative on the part of your body that moves the most? Trim can be adjusted in ways other than weighting your feet (same as why not to use ankle weights).

I have both. I use jet with drysuit and SS with wetsuit. Main difference is weight, so pick based on that. Other differences are small. SS is abit stiffer. SS has slightly larger foot pockets in size Large and XL. I fit into SS Large, but need XL for jet.

Have you seen that HOG makes a very similar fin with spring straps also, just look at all your options...

I think a pro with either one is after 2 months of solid diving with them you have calves of iron...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom