scuba pro everydry 4 - catastrophic failure coming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriverman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I posted this in the advanced forum but realised there is an exposure suit section. Sorry for the double post. While I have not posted much and just recently registered, I am a long time lurker and have been reading in the background for years. I think I have a problem that I need some advise on. I purchased a scuba pro everydry 4 and really like it. It has kept my 100% dry and I like the comfort it offers.I am worried about something however. So as you all know the zipper is glued onto the neoprene. Around the contour of the zipper near where the zipper is glued to the neoprene a crease has formed. This crease is about 4 inches long and is deep. If I put my fingers on both sides of the crease (one finger inside the suit touching the crease, with the other hand on the outside of the suit touching the crease at the same spot) I realize that the material is very very thin where the crease is. It feels paper thin as if it were just the nylon material. My last dive was dry but I have a hard time imagining that the crease won’t cause a leak or tear catastrophically during a dive. I diver in ice cold waters in the low 30's so this could be a very serious safety issue that makes me uneasy.. This is a new suit with about 20 dives on it and I have owned it for about 2 months. I always store it hanging upside down as stated in the manual. I did notice that the resting position of the arm creates a fold where the crease is and is likely the cause of it. So what do you guys think? Have you seen this before? Will this be covered by warranty? I'm new to drysuits but my common sense tells me this isn't good and I'm not worrying for nothing.
If I have to send it away to scubapro it will break my heart as I dive every weekend and without a drysuit it's just too cold when I get out of the water. hum :( thanks for taking the time to read my question guys

If it is a defect the warranty will cover it. I would suggest taking it back to the dealership and compare it with another suit. The everydry is a neoprene suit and should not have any "paper thin" areas IMO. I am no expert on neoprene suits so I might be totally wrong. I know here are a couple of everydry suit owners and they should be able to confirm if this is a fault, or design function.

Good luck

I would certainly take it back to the shop/dealer where you bought the suit. If they need to send the suit out for repair, perhaps they can loan you a suit in the meantime.

One quick fix is simply to smear a thick and wide coat of Aquaseal on the inside of the suit over the length of the crease. Even better, perhaps, would be to Aquaseal a thin neoprene patch over the crease on the inside of the suit (as long as this wouldn't interfer with the zipper). But before I did this I would contact the shop/dealer; you don't want to do any repair work that might void your warranty coverage.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Yeah I will take it back to the shop as I don't think I have much of a choice. It really is just a big deep crease but scary thin.. I expect sending it away can be a lengthly process.. would hate to miss the first ice dives as the guys only go out a few times during the winter.. I doubt they have a drysuit to lend me but that would be awesome.
I'm now paranoid about any folds in the suit while hung up that could cause creases..lol I could plug the neck and arms and keep it inflated haha

Yup aquaseal sure seems to be a life saver. I love neoprene for the fact that you can glue it together pretty easily and reliably and when in doubt just aquaseal it over the seam haha.

I looked and there is all kinds of neoprene on flea bay. I hope they warrant the work. Though ya it would suck to miss some dives. Maybe you could get their blessing to fix it w/o ruining your warranty. But hell, it shouldn't be an issue this early in.

So it turns out that creases like the one in my suit are the reality of neoprene drysuits. It remains a weakpoint but apparently on all suits there are always a couple places with creases even when brand new. My master instructor showed me his old neoprene suit and it has creases everywhere, his creases seem less thin but his is a 7mm and the everdry is 4mm compressed. So I'm freaking out for nothing in his opinion.. still bugs me.. Try to avoid any folds when storing a neoprene suit, if left long enough the folds cause creases and they are permanent. I love my suit, just don't like the rear entry design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom