Scuba presentation to 10 yr olds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the update and glad to hear that it went well. Must have been great if an audience of young kids was quiet and attentive :)

I've been asked by the teacher of my 10 yr old niece to come to class, with all my gear, and discuss gear and scuba diving. Before my mind fully engaged, my mouth had agreed! :shocked2: I've begun to put a brief power point together about gear, training and some pictures taken to give a feel for the environment.

My question for teens and adults - if you had to do the presentation, what would you want to say or want them to know? I've got 60 minutes for the presentation.

I already know they want to ask me about sharks. If anyone has any good pics of sharks they would be willing to let me incorporate I would be most grateful and willing to provide credit to the photographer. I've never had them near enough to get a good shot, or never had camera when they've come calling...never fails.

Stress conservation. Those little critters are the only hope our oceans have.

Wow, sounds like it was a blast! Thanks for the update, I've been checking back every couple of days to see what anyone has said. I work so much I have no life:( So I have to live Vicariously thru others:)

I've been waiting for your post on how things went...sounds like you did an A+ job.
Kudos to you !! Must have been quite thrilling to teach the entire 5th grade!! Bet your niece was "proud as a peacock" of her auntie that impressed everyone... including the teacher.:yelclap:
WTG !!! P

Thanks all! Yeah Pidgiepoo, Casey (niece) surprised me that first she volunteered me to come in as part of their Seas Studies, upon arrival brought her friends over to meet me and gave me a big hug and kiss. Some kids that age don't want to be seen with adults, forget family members. It was a surprise to go from preparing for a group of 20 to presenting to 120 plus little bodies! They were really good and so quiet I was surprised, lots of questions, kids came up after and wanted to talk about gear and fish. I touched on 4 species of shark in particular - sand, reef, Great White and Bull - and one young gentleman came up to tell me that he did a report on Bull sharks and I had my facts straight. (Always nice to know!) One kid wanted to know about the genetics of some fish species and I had to explain I am not a geneticist by training, sorry. (Where do these kids come from??) Yes, I did throw my line on conservation and stewardship of our planet, that many areas are Marine Parks w/ no touch/no take policies. I urge others to give this a whirl ~ great fun and it may spark further interest in some young mind. Of course now Casey wants to get her C card...

Help everyone, I agreed to do apresentation to my mothers pre schoolers, most of her children are developmentally delayed and cognitively impaired. I have about a half hour with each class of about 15 kids. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can apraoch my love for the sport but in a 5 year olds mind?

Help everyone, I agreed to do apresentation to my mothers pre schoolers, most of her children are developmentally delayed and cognitively impaired. I have about a half hour with each class of about 15 kids. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can apraoch my love for the sport but in a 5 year olds mind?

5 year olds really aren't going to understand the "science" of how a regulator works or pressure affects...

what they will like to see is "cool fishies" or things they'd see on the bottom of the ocean.

My suggestion might be to get a large washbasin and paint a fish scene on the bottom. Then get 3 or 4 "walmart masks" for small faces and let them stick their face in the wash basin. put a few sea shells in the bottom and let them pick them up.

or if you don't want to get masks and their faces in the water, make a "looking bucket". A bucket with a clear plastic plexiglass bottom so they can look down in it and see the bottom easily. (you can buy these also).

BTW... Diver0001, you had some great suggestions earlier in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom