SCUBA Luau Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks,
We have a contender for an EXCELLENT get-together target for next year. I've jsut returned home from the SCUBA Luau at Barstows/Windy Point - And I had a GREAT time!

There were probably 200-300 divers there, a treasure hunt, a navigation contest, FOOD & DRINK, Hula Dancers and a steel drum band. I didn't win anything of note, but fed well & met with a lot of friends.

Specific to SCUBABoard - I met MightySCUBA and had a fun dive with him [and Lee, a friend from my rescue class]. Sadly, MightyDiver didn't show, but Oh well..... Brad was quite patient with me, got a pickup dive buddy for the treasure hunt, then waited patiently until I degassed a bit from the class I was DMing for the fun dive.

I had come early for the second day of an OW class. Nothing too special to report there, except for that there's four new OW divers out there now - and they did real well.
Well - that's not quite right - with a couple hundred divers out there, it was quite busy underwater. That's OK with me as I'm used to not seeing much in Travis, especially around a class. BUT, there's a few out there that have forgotten their boyancy skills - I had to bodyblock a #$%^& that was making like a rock right on top of one of my more petite female students !!!!!!

After class, our site had grown by 4 of the OHS staff and ~3 students so we had a nice group. Lots of BS and good times!

We should try this next year!

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good time.
I hope it gets planned for next year. Maybe David and I will be able to come!
:sunny:

Hey Larry....did we miss seeing you hula dance? :D Maybe we can make a good Scubaboard showing next year.

but it wouldn't have been any different had you been there! :D

I basically hung around chatting while degassing, until I was convinced taht all the folks that wanted fun dives had got a shot - then I was tempted by some great fruit punch [or was it Manhatten Ice Tea] that was being passed around [I was actually tempted well before, but NOT until the diving is done] - Happily, or perhaps sadly, there was not enough of that left to get me into Hula mode.

:wacko:

I don't know what part of Texas your in. I lived in San ANtonio for seven years. I thought that they had it mis-spelled, should have been the state of Taxe's. I enjoyed diving the Pecos at belmerhea, a 2 acre crystal clear spring on I-10 about 185 miles East of the New Mex border.

I live in Florida about 7 miles from Vortex springs. www.vortexspring.com They normally have a Luau each years and a big event with a pig roast on the 4th July weekend.

Hi Kris,
Yes indeed - I live just 60 miles up the road in Austin and the Luau was at Lake Travis.

Balmorhea: Yes - I love it - BUT - I do my spring diving at Aquarena, which is every bit as clear, slightly larger and 160 miles closer!

Taxes!:eek:
Yes - I was very surprized when I moved her from CA, thinking "No Property Taxes - Great!" - then found my tax load higher!!!!! No matter, the job makes up for it!

I hit central FL on occaision - will try to look you up an try this Vortex thing!

at least that I found. But then, as per the above, I didn't spend lots of time exploring every nook and vendors tent....

The meal was roast pig & chicken, with rolls, chutney and an array of the standard sandwich fixens - lots of fruit and some roasted vegtables - nothing spectacular - but good! - - Desert - Cookies & fudge - I had to move away quickly after that!

Back
Top Bottom