Scuba instructor charged with sexually assaulting 10 year old student

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always amazed me how only some instructors bothered to get clearances from their state's child protection office. Teachers in PA have to get what's called a Childline Clearance, which involves a background check.
It was one of the first things I did when I became an instructor. While not 100% foolproof, it does tend to weed out people who should not be around kids.
When I started working with the Girl Scouts, they made the state Childline check look like amateur hour. I had to get Childline, State Police, and FBI checks done.
Then, they conducted their check. Every reference I put down was called and interviewed.
I kept that current until I decided to retire.
I also ensured that no class was done without a parent or parent-appointed guardian present.
I had no problem with them getting in the pool after I told them I was in charge of the training. They were just there to observe.
Over the years, I saw instructors making crude remarks, using questionable methods of teaching students how to kick, adjusting gear in ways that didn't need the amount of contact they used, etc.
Several female students left another instructor because of these things, and they came to me to finish their training.
I advised them that if they wanted to file a complaint against that person, I would support them.
I have been known to tell students that particular instructors are known for being handsy as well as misogynistic and to avoid them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom