Scuba in schools??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The University of Rhode Island has a scuba class. However URI gave me college credit for my PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue diving course. I just called up PADI and they sent me an official transcript and URI gave me free elective credit for those courses.

I also studied at The University of Queensland and we had a Scuba diving club there. Had our own dive boat and everything.

James Cook University in Townsville AUS, has a great diving program. A fully operational PADI training center and their own dive boat.

The University of Hawaii has a stellar Dive Safety program that they require you to take before diving under the auspices or resources of the UH system. Their basic course is very thorough, a quality that follows through to their more advanced courses. The guy in charge will even teach you to use a rebreather if you're qualified.

What about high schools?
There are two public High Schools in Colorado Springs' District 11 with scuba programs. One is set up as a club, but I have only minimal info on the other.

Scuba is also a PE class at the University of Houston and the Lone Star College system......gee and I had to take racquetball......:depressed:

Thanks everybody! I didn't realize people were actually responding to this because I didn't receive a notification from scubaboard (I'm new to it). I went to University of Miami and we had a scuba program there is well.

What about high schools? Do you know of any? I run a nonprofit that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving, so I'm interested in learning of different programs that are out there. We're based in Brooklyn and I know the NY Harbor School has a very highly regarded program that incorporates scuba into the curriculum. Know of anything else?

I am one of the instructors for a local High School, the Carson City High School. Every fall they offer scuba certification as part of the Oceanography class series. We typically certify ~120 students.

The first year this was offered, it was seen as an easy science elective. Now, the demand is so high only the seniors can even get into the class.

All the best, James

Thanks everybody! I didn't realize people were actually responding to this because I didn't receive a notification from scubaboard (I'm new to it). I went to University of Miami and we had a scuba program there is well.

What about high schools? Do you know of any? I run a nonprofit that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving, so I'm interested in learning of different programs that are out there. We're based in Brooklyn and I know the NY Harbor School has a very highly regarded program that incorporates scuba into the curriculum. Know of anything else?

There is at least 1 HS in my area with a scuba program - hopefully my tax $ are not subsidizing it.

Thanks everyone,

James, where do you do the confined/open water portions of the course? Is there a pool in your school? Where did you get the equipment? Did it come out of the school budget?

thedeckguru, what area are you in? Do you know the name of the school?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone,

James, where do you do the confined/open water portions of the course? Is there a pool in your school? Where did you get the equipment? Did it come out of the school budget?

thedeckguru, what area are you in? Do you know the name of the school?

Thanks again!

Schooba, the confined water is in the local municipal pool. The students have to pay for the class (although at a reduced cost), so it's not out of the school budget.

All the best, James

Thanks, James. The info is helpful for me as we look to expand programming.

All the best,

Zach

Florida Keys Community College (FKCC) has a very extensive dive program. OW - Instructor, research diving, public safety, and hyperbarics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom