Scuba in schools??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody! I didn't realize people were actually responding to this because I didn't receive a notification from scubaboard (I'm new to it). I went to University of Miami and we had a scuba program there is well.

What about high schools? Do you know of any? I run a nonprofit that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving, so I'm interested in learning of different programs that are out there. We're based in Brooklyn and I know the NY Harbor School has a very highly regarded program that incorporates scuba into the curriculum. Know of anything else?
For what it is worth, I am team teaching a 3 week summer school program with a biology teacher open to any high school student in Bangkok. OK, so that might be kinda far. We are going to do two weeks of classroom prep/OW knowledge review and pool session followed by 4 days in Pattaya. two days will be open water dives to get OW and PPB certs, then two days of reef research on corals, fish and invertebrates. If you want more detail, send me your email. Jeff

At the University Im going to we have one research vessel and are adding another one and its going to be a ice breaker, we also have two scientific diving classes and kelp ecology. With that said the school also has a nice beach front research station down in Kachemak bay that has a few zodiac boats, gear, and some real nice cabins.

Kellam High School in Virginia Beach, VA has a scuba club. The students take OW classes through a local dive shop. They do not receive any district funding except for the use of an activity bus to get to the dive shop. The club does some fund raising but for the most part, the students pay for gear, classes, etc.

Central Campus (High School) in Des Moines, Iowa has and has had for the last 25 or so years a Marine Biology Program which offers scuba as part of its curriculum. There have been a variety of shops and instuctors associated with the program over the years. Dr. Karen Stiles currently heads the program though she is likely to retire in the next year or so. North Iowa Scuba is currently doing the training for the OW students. I am one of the DMs for the shop.

Mr. Baldwin,

I live in Ruston, am newly certified, and am looking to practice in the Tech pool. I can't seem to find anyone that knows if this is possible or not and I came across this post so I was hoping you can help me with that. Do you only teach current students? I am alumni.

My high school in the 80's had a scuba team in its ROTC program. It was thru YMCA.

Back
Top Bottom