Scuba in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for ALL the advice. VERY helpful & gives me some direction to start with. I was initially thinking of going a-la-cart; buy airfare, rent a car & rent a place via VRBO/AirBNB inland. Then find a dive shop in the area. However, between here and seeing stuff online, I'm wondering if some sort of resort (that also offers diving) is the way to go.

Also, I was pricing some places locally for my daughter to get certified and I'm getting in the $1300+ range for her to get fully certified here in the USA. I think I am seeing prices of about $600-700 down in Belize. Now, I realize the price goes up when I add in all my other expenses (flight, car, accommodations, food, etc), but if we are going there for a vacation, it may be worth it to do it down there instead of USA.

Any thoughts?

CORRECTION: I've called dive shops in Panama City and certification there is about $500 so more in line with Belize. I didn't fully ask the local shop for details, but there has to be more included for $1000+. Will try to call later for details.
You might want to check out ReefCI who offer diver certification as well as environmental diving.

I completed my OW certification in Belize. San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye to be exact. I certified with PADI and did all the class work online before my trip. I did my checkout dives with Belize Diving Adventures. All of the dives on that trip were “local” dives. There are lots of dive spots all along the reef just offshore of Ambergris Caye.

I went back 2 months later with my wife and we did a dive at Hol Chan Cut in the Hol Chan marine reserve. It’s a busy site for snorkeling, but there were very few divers. It’s shallow and completely full of life everywhere you look.

After almost 2 years because of covid, this spring we went back to Belize. This time we went to Hopkins and stayed at / dove with Hamanasi dive and adventure resort. Again, we stuck to the resort’s “local” spots that they include with their packages, but it was still real nice.

I would say the average local dive sites are still better than most dive sites in the Florida Keys. Though I haven’t been out to Turneffe or the other atolls to compare them to the more local spots.

Lighthouse Reef is #1 for diving, Glovers Reef is #2, IMO. Recent visit to Itza Lodge on Lighthouse went very well. They do instruction (an instructor runs the place, e.g.) Recent article June Undercurrent on Itza and Lighthouse is very detailed.

Any good options for a single diver? Went to a few dive resort web site like Turneffe Island Resort and they quote double occupancy packages.

Glovers Reef is #2, IMO.
Really? While I liked Glovers Reef last February, I was overall disappointed. The reef was pretty well beat up too. While that was my first time in Belize, I wonder if the lionfish have taken a significant toll. When was the last time you went diving there?

Honestly, I feel Waddah Fingers in Neah Bay, Washington State is more colorful, has more fish, no sharks but have GPOs and wolf eels, and if you are really lucky, orcas.

ny good options for a single diver? Went to a few dive resort web site like Turneffe Island Resort and they quote double occupancy packages.
check out hurican dive lodge. Love this place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom