Scuba Gear Warranty(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossjc

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this has probably been beaten to death time and time again with "newbies" like myself, but thought I'd see if I could get a few bites...

If I buy my gear from an authorized dist. the does that mean I have a true manuf. warranty? Also, would I have to deal with the co. I purchased the gear from or would I deal with the manuf. for warranty service, annual upkeep...

Basically I am seeing a huge $$ benefit buying from Scuba Toys. If anyone who has some (good) advice and is not so incredibly sick of answer this question would help me out, I would certainly apprec.

Interesting question.

I buy a lot of stuff locally and a lot of stuff over the 'net. For stuff like sports equipment that requires maintenance and lots of questions I like to buy locally. I want a place I can go to and say "How do I do this" or "I don't know if this is working right" or "can you check this out for me".

So, I am a newbie. I got good dive equipment from a local store and I'm pretty happy. I probably paid 10 to 20 percent more, but they have to support a storefront and somebody has to pay to keep it open ...

Buying over the net from an authorized dealer is no different from walking into the shop of an authorized dealer. As long as that brand is allowed to be sold... For example, I can't sell ScubaPro on the net, even though we are an authorized dealer for them.

As far as any service work... Most manufacturers do not want to do annuals... so you take it to any authorized dealer. We do a deal for customers who bought regs from us, their annual is $39.95 and parts are free for life - so a lot of guys just ship their regs to us for service. But you can just take it to any authorized dealer.

As far as internet sales and warranties go, as some brands allow online sales, this point becomes less important. Even non-authorized sources, such as LeisurPro, offer their own in house warranty. The biggest difference between a LDS and ANY online dealer is that at some LDS's they would give you a loaner or outright swap if a piece of gear proves defective. People that buy gear from the internet tend to do so because they value the upfront cost savings over the warranty. You won't change their mind about this any more than convince a die hard LDS supporter to buy off the net. Businesses like ScubaToys prove that they can compete with places like LeisurePro and can still maintain a physical presence, complete with service and training. Why don't you demand that your LDS accord you the same courtesy as a customer? What I don't understand is the willingness of some to throw a mystical shroud over a LDS by calling it unethical to use them for any type of research for gear and then to buy online. Why do LDS's deserve any more respect in this regard than any other type of retailer? Just because they have a regulator I am interested in hanging on their wall, why should I feel obligated to pay $300 more for it, just for the priviledge of handling it? Forget about all the "free" advice you think you're getting. I've never had a LDS tell me that a particular piece of gear they sell is garbage. Without the internet and the competion it has created I wouldn't have been able to afford half of the gear I own, even though most of it came from a LDS at net prices. Just remember that it's your money and only you can decide if you are receiving an acceptable level of value for it, be it thru service or warranties or whatever. Also remember that all of the "no warranty" claims are mostly just scare tactics as this has proven to be a non issue for the majority of online buyers.

Just to add a bit....
What has been said is good and true, but may need an example or two.

1. You buy a regulator from Leisure Pro or another online source that is NOT an authorized dealer, but offers their own 'house' warranty. You are on vacation in Diver's Shangrila and you reg has a major meltdown requiring a rebuild of the first and second stages. No problem. You take it to the shop where you are and they tell you it's not under manufacturers warranty, so you get to pay labor AND parts. $125 or more. Your other option is to send your reg back to the source you bought it from and wait weeks or months for a reapir or replacement.

2. Same scenario, except you bought from an authorized dealer. When you takeit to the shop where you are, they say, "Sure, manufacturers warranty, you just pay labor".

Some of the above example #2 may vary depending on the brand of gear you buy. Some manufacturers warranties are better than others. I have had example 2 happen to me and example 1 happened to someone else diving with us the next day. My cost $50, his cost $210.

As Larry stated also, annual service generally becomes cheaper. Usually your LDS or any other authorized service center will only charge labor for items under manufacturers warranty. So if you save $200 buying a reg from an unauthorized source vs. authorized, but you spend $120 for annual service vs. $39.95, it only takes a couple of years to eat up your savings, then it quickly becomes more expensive.

My rocommendation is to by from an authorized dealer. Whether that is LDS or online is your call. I would try to get your LDS to match or come close to any deal you might find online. That way you can both benefit from building a relationship for long term, mutual growth.

jbichsel:
Just to add a bit....

1. You buy a regulator from Leisure Pro or another online source that is NOT an authorized dealer, but offers their own 'house' warranty. You are on vacation in Diver's Shangrila and you reg has a major meltdown requiring a rebuild of the first and second stages. No problem. You take it to the shop where you are and they tell you it's not under manufacturers warranty, so you get to pay labor AND parts. $125 or more. Your other option is to send your reg back to the source you bought it from and wait weeks or months for a reapir or replacement.

2. Same scenario, except you bought from an authorized dealer. When you takeit to the shop where you are, they say, "Sure, manufacturers warranty, you just pay labor".

Might work, but only if "Diver's Shangrila" is in the USA (or maybe Canada). For example, the Scubapro "parts for life" warrenty is only good for the USA & Canada. And, of course, scenario #2 really only works as a vacation saver if the shop has the parts on hand. Price of service kits vary greatly. I have seen SP kits available online (no more) for $5 to $10. I have gotten them from US retailers for $10 to $20. And I have seen LDS charge as much as $30 (they didn't even have to take the pistol out of their pocket). Best way to insure against a regulator problem spoiling a vacation is to carry a spare rig. Maybe your LDS will lend you a spare to take with you. :lol2:

I bought from my regulator and computer from my LDS and they took care of the warranty cards and everything, I didn't have to do anything. The only reason I went with my LDS is that scubatoys didn't have the reg and computer I wanted. I have bought other equipement from scubatoys.com and have nothing but good things to say about the experience, keep it up Joe and Larry...

jbichsel:
Just to add a bit....

Some of the above example #2 may vary depending on the brand of gear you buy. Some manufacturers warranties are better than others. I have had example 2 happen to me and example 1 happened to someone else diving with us the next day. My cost $50, his cost $210.

As Larry stated also, annual service generally becomes cheaper. Usually your LDS or any other authorized service center will only charge labor for items under manufacturers warranty. So if you save $200 buying a reg from an unauthorized source vs. authorized, but you spend $120 for annual service vs. $39.95, it only takes a couple of years to eat up your savings, then it quickly becomes more expensive.

My rocommendation is to by from an authorized dealer. Whether that is LDS or online is your call. I would try to get your LDS to match or come close to any deal you might find online. That way you can both benefit from building a relationship for long term, mutual growth.

How about scenario #3 where they charge you anything they want to because they know you're over a barrel? How would a dive shack in some Podunk tropical destination know where you bought your regulator? From what I see, these free parts warranties work alot better at the selling LDS because they have to basically front you the parts kit and then get reimbused from the manufacturer. I bought a reg from an authorized dealer and wouldn't expect to get it serviced on vacation anyway. If you have a problem while away from home, rent a regulator. I wouldn't trust just anyone to work on my gear. A question for industry service techs: does a manufacturer pay you for your time if you preform an actual repair to gear under warranty (like automaker's factories do for car dealership repair people)?

I was not going to get deep into this but, ok.

Every time I have my reg serviced, which can be several times per year depending on # of dives, I get a spare service kit for first, primary second and alternate. They go in my 'save-a-dive' kit. Next time I have the reg serviced, my kits go in the reg and the new kits go in my box.

That way, I always have a spare set of service kits with me. No matter where I am, if there is an Aqualung service center, or even if I have to do it myself, I have the parts. If they don't have the parts, I do.

Since I have the Legend LX, I can even rebuild the first stage on a boat if need be. Tank valve and my allen wrench. Both second stages are easy.

Foresight and planning. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom