Scuba Gear/Automobile Analogy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobEarl1975

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I once took a photography course and the instructor opined that Canon was the "Cadillac" of cameras. (Of course, Nikon owners might disagree.) I couldn't afford to buy a Canon (or a Nikon) and ended up using a less expensive camera that nevertheless got the job done just as well.

Using that same analogy, I am wondering who the "Cadillac" of scuba gear manufacturers would be in your opinion? I am also wondering who the "Ford" or "Chevy" makers of scuba gear would be. I personally am more of a Ford or Chevy type and don't want (or need) to spend extra on just a name brand such as Cadillac or Mercedes.

I'm not sure this analogy works with Scuba gear manufacturers (it may not) but thought I'd ask your opinion since I'm considering buying gear in the near future and want to get good, reliable, serviceable equipment but not spend a whole lot on extras or name brand.

Here' my cut at it
Halcyon: Mercedes
Apex: Mercedes
Scubapro: Cadillac
OMS: Cadillac
Deep Sea Supply: Buick
Oxycheq: Chevy
Salvo: Ford

I personally am more of a Ford or Chevy type and don't want (or need) to spend extra on just a name brand such as Cadillac or Mercedes.

The extra isn't just for a name. Take it from a former mechanic. A good mechanic can look at the undercarriage of a vehicle and know approximately how much it cost just by observing the quality of engineering and construction. You can even see it easily within a single manufacturer's line. For example GM produces vehicles I would classify into 3 distinct quality groups. A quick look at the under-the-skin components quickly reveals what class a particular model is in.

I like to compare two vehicles I currently own. One would be considered high-end. The other is a typical grade. After 10 years and 70,000 miles the high-end vehicle still feels new - tight, solid, etc. The other car at 4 years and 25,000 is already declining in feel, having loosened up, developing some squeaks & rattles, etc. There is a significant quality difference and it shows up over time. I would expect that with cameras it's the same - differences in quality may not be evident at first, but show up over time.

-Ben

So I'm a buick man that sucks on a cadillac? Doesn't sound right to me. After comparing my DSS BPW with the Mercedes wing....it looks more like I'm driving the Lexus compared to a honda. But...to each his own.

Cheers Roadtrip

Appreciate the input. I was told by a dive instructor that he only used Scubapro equipment and so I figured it must be good equipment and it got me to thinking about the "Cadillac" analogy. But in reading this board, and various other sites, its obvious that Aqualung, Sherwood, Mares, Oceanic, etc, etc, also make good quality gear.

I would buy SP again but I did get a lemon G250 that even the SP "mechanic" said was just bad luck. Same with my H Pioneer 27. Don't know why, but it had about 30 micro bubble leaks the first time I submerged it to wash it. Then I wanted to get the inflator off a year later, to put on another BC, and it leaked bad...the button stuck and didn't work. I got another inflator off an old, cheap, no name BC I bought in the equivalent of a Walmart in Kuantan, Malaysia after it sat in a closet for 6 years, and it worked fine. ??? whatever.....

My Cadillac is Atomic.

So my Atomic is a Catallic. My old reg. is a Titan (not LX), is that a Pinto or Vega?

Back
Top Bottom