Scuba field kit contents--suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

I've seen other divers carry these around with them, and I'm starting to think it might be smart to make up one of my own. I'd be interested in hearing what yall put in yours. Off the top of my head here are my ideas:

spare tank O-rings
spare fin straps
spare mask strap
spare mouthpiece
screwdrivers of varying size and head shape
allen wrenches
open ended wrenches
pliers
small diagonal cutters
X-Acto or box cutter knife
fishing line
nylon cable ties
sewing awl and waterproof thread (see Triple-L BC discussion)
silicone grease
defog
Dramamine
aspirin or ibuprofen
antibiotic cream
small bottle of alcohol (isopropyl, that is :) )
tissues
pencil or pen and paper
small plastic toolbox to hold all this stuff

Like I said, off the top of my head. I know I've missed something, please fill in the blanks as you see fit. thx

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
hey all

I've seen other divers carry these around with them, and I'm starting to think it might be smart to make up one of my own. I'd be interested in hearing what yall put in yours. Off the top of my head here are my ideas...

cheers

Billy S.

I recommend searching our site using:

Dry Box
DryBox
Save-A-Dive Kit

Our members have contributed zillions of excellent suggestions, and some of the more motivated ones have posted .PDF's and .XLS files they've made outlining the stuff in theirs.

I may get ambitious and combine all of these threads over the years into one sticky mega-thread so its easier to find. This is an excellent topic that I'm pretty passionate about, and it comes around every couple of months.

You have a good start on your list, above. You may want to also consider:

* Film can full o' quarters (parking)
* Car Key
* Copies of your C Card (and your Nitrox card)
* A folded up $20 bill
* Spare bolt snaps & Double Enders
* Manuals for your computer / bottom timer
* A length of Bungee
* Batteries for everything
* etc, etc, etc...

There's tons more I have in mine. All jammed into a bright yellow Pelican 1200 box. I keep the stuff in zip lock bags - as I'm usually on boats or the beach and things get salty and nasty out there. I basically take it everywhere, one every dive I do.

I think its one of the most important things a diver can have, and it still amazes me how many divers don't have a fully stocked dry box with them.

Ask Lexy if she's glad I brought it last weekend... :wink:

Search is your friend.

---
Ken

ear drops if you're the type to need them (a MUST for me)
sunscreen travel size bottle from wal-mart filled...for those days you forget yours

i'll keep thinking

btw, in lieu of some of the tools you mentioned, my husband bought some handy tool that i liken to a leatherman. could be an idea to save space and weight.

Oh crikey, these things tend to take on a life of their own.

Mine currently also contains spare regulator hoses, a spare first stage, a spare second stage, a spare mask, spare lights, D-rings and retainer clips, small bottle of white vinegar (for jellyfish stings), roll of duct tape, crystolube, assorted applicators, butane lighter, and who knows what else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh crikey, these things tend to take on a life of their own.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Its so true, Bob.

That's why I moved from the Pellican 1500 to the 1200... it was getting completely out of control. Dang thing weighed about as much as my 130!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I recommend searching our site using:

Dry Box
DryBox
Save-A-Dive Kit

Search is your friend.

---
Ken

So it's called a "Save-a-Dive Kit"? Now why didn't that occur to me? :D

Goes to show what knowing your terms can do. I didn't, so I searched using a few other terms and came up scratch. Doh. (Incidentally, I did search under "kit"...zilch. What's up with that?)

Anyway, my apologies for unwittingly reviving a beat-to-death subject, folks. Still it's interesting.

cheers

Billy S.

I keep a full spare regulator and computer, ready to go, for those last minute major problems. I also carry some hose end sized o-ring (003, 010,011) for the simple SI repairs.

Moogyboy:
So it's called a "Save-a-Dive Kit"? Now why didn't that occur to me? :D

Goes to show what knowing your terms can do. I didn't, so I searched using a few other terms and came up scratch. Doh. (Incidentally, I did search under "kit"...zilch. What's up with that?)

Anyway, my apologies for unwittingly reviving a beat-to-death subject, folks. Still it's interesting.

cheers

Billy S.

There are many, many other subjects that are far less important that are far more beat to death than this one! :D

Last night your thread inspired my pet project to put some of the best of these Save-a-dive kit threads into one place. You might want to check here.

I think "kit" is too short to search on. I believe our search function (with ScubaBoard having a zillion threads and tens-of-millions of words) will search on words of 4 or more letters only.

Best,

Ken

Moogyboy:
(Incidentally, I did search under "kit"...zilch. What's up with that?)
Billy S.

Search terms must be more than three letters. Try 'kit*.' (Pardon me if you already know this, but) the * is called a 'wildcard,' and, in this case, will return anything that starts with 'kit,' including 'kit<space>.' Of course, that means you'll also get kittens...

Mo2vation:
There are many, many other subjects that are far less important that are far more beat to death than this one! :D

Yeah...bp/w's vs. jackets, LeisurePro vs. LDS, Jet Fins vs. anything else....worse yet, I could have decided to fulfill my monthly quota of posts by going into another one of my anti-pricey-gear tirades.

Mo2vation:
I think "kit" is too short to search on. I believe our search function (with ScubaBoard having a zillion threads and tens-of-millions of words) will search on words of 4 or more letters only.

Best,

Ken

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh, I geddit now. No wonder so many of my searches fail.

Anyway, I will check your list out. Thanks!

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom