scuba diving with astmha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit,

You should never consider certifying someone with a contraindication. What those contraindications are is determined by doctors and our respective agencies.

As for spending money of an instructor course and not teaching for 9 months when pregnant, that's the only wise decision. I'd suggest teaching in the classroom only if pregnant.

"That YMCA program sounds like a very good place for someone with asthma to try if they decide they really do want to dive."

The YMCA SCUBA Program is a very good place for anyone to try if they decide they really do want to dive.

DSSW,

WWW™

There's a whole lot more asthmatics diving than the industry can keep track of. Most won't even admit to diving with asthma. Theoretically, it should be bad for you, but there doesn't seem to be much data on injuries/deaths related to asthma and diving.

I'm a bit skeptical, in all honesty.

Mike

I have read with interest Dr. Scott's post re a YMCA protocol for the presumed screened of diving candidates. Dr. Scott - can you share that protocol with your esteemed ScubaBoard-certified colleagues?

Alan,

Dr Scott did not make a post. I cut and pasted the information from the YMCA website.

The protocol is:

Initially, all potential asthmatic scuba students are required to receive clearance by the YSCUBA Medical Advisor prior to being accepted into an instructor's class. Every instructor who chooses to teach asthmatics will be required to submit data concerning the students' response to scuba training. Every asthmatic student will be requested to periodically submit information concerning his or her diving activities.

DSSW,

WWW™

Thanks for the clarification, Walter. Alas, that's more than we can say to the YMCA, as it continues to cloak the issues of asthma in a black box approach (the medical advisor will decide for you), rather than laying out the precise risk factors as they relate to each individual diver's condition and then assisting the patient to make an informed decision. Yes, I acknowledge that, in some regards, the YMCA's receptivity to training individuals with asthma is a step forward, and no I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that my buddy has chronic severe exercise-induced asthma. But the medical community can readily lay out assessment protocols that would assist many (albeit not all) individuals with asthma to evaluate their personal risk in diving and to make informed opinions.

Back
Top Bottom