Scuba Diving test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a back stroke for the entire swim requirement. I didn't have any swim goggles so I didn't bother with freestyle swimming and just went for easy and slow. The treading water was much more difficult for me since I sink if I stop moving.

As others have said, it's not too difficult but best bet is to get to a pool and try it out before the class starts.

Just curious: on the treading water were you allowed to just float, or "drown-proof" (take a big breath, hold it and let your head go under, which requires no treading to stay "afloat")? We weren't allowed to float-had to tread water only, and I found the 10 minutes a bit tiresome, being a natural "sinker". For DM exam 15 minute float we were allowed to float and drown proof, which was a breeze (even with hands out of water the last 2 minutes).. Anyone know the exact rules for these?

Down and back, you're halfway, down and back again, and you're done! There, that was easy, wasn't it??:wink:

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and scuba diving altogether. I start my scuba diving class next Monday and for a prerequisite we have to be able to swim 200 yards unassisted, so im assuming we're going to do that the first class. I didn't do swimming in high school but did many other sports so i dont know how long or difficult 20 yards swimming is. Would anyone be able to help me out in telling me how easy swimming 200 yards is?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know which agency you are certifying with, but keep in mind that there could be an additional 50' underwater swim (on one breath of air) and/or a tread/float of 10-15 minutes.

As others have suggested...I'd get to a pool asap. 200 yds isn't that difficult for those who can swim well, but for the rest of us it can be quite challenging.

Learn and practice some survival strokes; back, side, or breast. Steady and easy and you'll find you can swim almost indefinitely. YMMV. :)

Just curious: on the treading water were you allowed to just float, or "drown-proof" (take a big breath, hold it and let your head go under, which requires no treading to stay "afloat")? We weren't allowed to float-had to tread water only, and I found the 10 minutes a bit tiresome, being a natural "sinker". For DM exam 15 minute float we were allowed to float and drown proof, which was a breeze (even with hands out of water the last 2 minutes).. Anyone know the exact rules for these?

If by float you mean effectively doing a corpse float, no. We were told we had to keep moving, but it was clear one of the ladies could essentially not move at all and she'd float like a bob on the surface. She moved her hands every 20 seconds or so to keep "treading water" but she was basically floating. I literally have to move constantly or I sink. Treading water sucks for me.

As others have said, your success at this depends almost entirely on your comfort in the water.

I imagine if you have questions about it, you should probably give it a go before the class. If you go to an actual olympic sized pool (which is usually a rectangle 50m x 25yds,though width can vary), you will need to do either two laps (four lengths) or four laps (eight lenghts) depending on if they have the pool set up for long course or short course. At my gym, for example, certain days they have the pool set up as the long course.

Remember that speed isn't the goal. Just keep moving and get it done.

ok for the swim part, i played soccer and other various sports but am also overweight. im about 5-10 and weigh about 195 (definatly not your typical athlete) it was for me 4 laps (1 lap being there and back) no time limit. i did one lap free style the switch to one back stroke then repeat. it was really simply you shouldnt have any trouble at all.

as for the treading water we didnt have to "tread water" we could do whatever, i actually swam around we just couldnt touch the sides or bottom. we had a dive master there that said for his DM training he has to do 10 mins of regular treading water then 5 mins with his hands out of the water, specifics as to how he was treading water i have no idea. for lifeguard training we did i believe 5 mins of treading water with no hands and to be honest it hurt my chest quite alot, and not just mine people who were athletes in school and in decent shape so im not 100% on that rule.

hope i helped some

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom